The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
This a mobile phone for the Three (3G) network and before you say "Brick!" let me say first this is not like the other 3G phones out there!
3G phones are notoriously bulky, with batteries that last about 2 seconds talk time and make you wish you might have joined another 2G or 2.5G network - well this is different.
Sony Ericsson have created a phone that has all the gagets you expect of a modern phone, in a bitesize package (compared to previous 3G models!) and with a battery that lasts 150 hours on standby (a week for the uninitiated) and about 40 hours if you are constantly gabbing away. This is a superb step forward from the technology we had to put up with just a year ago - which was like going back in a timewarp.
Many people originally went for Three because of the great, low-cost packages - idle to the fact the phones were awful - and not because of the Three content. Very few people make video calls, and very few people browse the internet on their phone - and why would you want to?
So lets put that big intro about why 3G phones have gotten so much better and get down to what this phone can actually do!
Those familiar with Sony Ericssons will be pleased to see the standard functionality all there, although any software gliches that were apparent in previous models are absent from this. Not one crash yet!! The specs are below, but the highlights are these:
- Bluetooth (which is finally useful - it syncs beautifully with Outlook, so your calendar and contacts can be seemlessly passed between one and the other.
- Tri-band which means you can use it anywhere in the world (except Japan I am led to believe)
- RIngtones a plenty! You can download your own onto the phone as MP3s and there is plenty of space for this. And they actually sound great
- FM Radio: okay some may not find this a useful bonus, but I have found myself listening to the radio all the time on the train and elsewhere - good reception and it doesn't take its toll on battery either
- Camera cover: the rear camera has a little cover that operates like the top on the tin of parmesan cheese, which is good for protection. The camera itself is not great but certainly does the job
Downsides on the features:
- Blue button: the famous blue button for accessing the Three extra stuff is inconveniently placed where you always seem to hit it, so you could find yourself with a hefty bill at the end of the month!! Maybe thats the plan! :)
- This is the only serious flaw I think: the buttons are too small, especially for my chunky fingers! There is space for very slightly larger buttons and this should have been seen in the design.
Overall: this is a great phone, so easy to use with the menu and little toggle stick. It is simplicity and for someone that had a previous generation 3G phone, it lasts forever!!! Hurrah!
Screen: 262,144-colour TFD
Networks: GSM 900 GSM 1800 GSM 1900 UMTS
Available colours: Silky White Pearl Silver
Sizes: 105.1 x 45.4 x 18.8 mm
Weight: 100 g
Below is an extended list of features, so only read if you really want to know the complete information:
Imaging: Camera 1.3 megapixel Camera integrated Photo light Video Call Video Clip Video record Video streaming EMS (Enhanced Messaging) Macromedia Flash Lite™ (trademark of Macromedia) Picture editor Picture effects Picture phonebook Picture wallpaper Screensaver Themes display VideoDJ™ Viewfinder display Wallpaper animation
Messaging: E-mail Instant Messaging MMS (Multimedia Messaging) QuickShare™ MMS Video Predictive text input SMS long (Text Messaging) Sound recorder
Entertainment: Content Online FM radio Games Download Games Embedded Java™ Media Player Music tones (MP3/AAC) MusicDJ™ PlayNow™ Polyphonic ringtones
Connectivity: Bluetooth™ wireless technology GPRS Infrared port UMTS USB support High-speed data Synchronization PC 3G Synchronization Apple®
Internet: Modem WAP 1.2.1 WAP 2.0 XHTML
Controls: Camera button Icon Desktop Joystick Menu shortcuts Selection keys Side Volume Keys Vibrating Alert Voice Mail Voice control
Charger for Sony Ericsson K608icompatible with the following model:Sony Ericsson ... more
K608iProduct Details:small and lightconnection to 220 volt outlethigh-quality materialnewest charging technologygentle chargingintelligent charging electronicoverload protection and conservation practicalLED display established millionfold in practicefor brand and third-party batteries developedProduct of third-party manufacturerAttention: Charger with Euro ConnectorDelivery:Charger for Sony Ericsson K608i