goodasgol... 5

goodasgold

Member since:01.01.1970

Great Stuff

13.09.2005 (04.10.2005)

Advantages:
Packed with features

Disadvantages:
Makes a noise when turned on and off, not heavy duty, poor ringtones

Look & Feel

1. Igloo_Vindaloo
  2. phoenix072124
  3. iamgod1234
  1. dj_ImY

I'm quite a particular person, as one or two here would probably testify. That is why it took ages to choose my new mobile, as I had to have the best phone I could get within my budget. After finally choosing my new phone, I can 100% say that I made the best decision with the Sony Ericsson K700i. I would challenge anyone to find me a better phone for £100 (pay as you go)!

The K700i is a nice looking camera phone that is packed with features. Sony Ericsson have quite heavily marketed the camera aspect of the phone, and have designed it to emphasise the camera. The front of the phone is a basic mobile, yet the back is a camera, with an interesting and slightly protruding lens, and small mirror and a light feature. In brushed aluminium it is a good looking phone, especially from the back, and the different shades of silver that it comes in look classy.

However, unfortunately one of the few features that is lacking is a mega pixel camera. The K700i has 0.3 mega pixels, but the extra camera features justify the product marketing. The phone has a 65000 colour resolution and a 1763x220 pixel screen, so the larger than average screen combined with a high resolution mean good picture quality and capturing. A light that can be turned on and off when required, and a night mode option also allow for clear indoor and night photographs. Various other camera modes include sepia and panoramic, so arty and landscape photos can be taken. Three photo sizes are available, which is ideal if you want to take some photos to print and others just for fun to store on your mobile because you wont want to take up much room for the latter but it would be worth taking a larger sized picture for printing purposes.

Videos with sound can be filmed with settings that are similar to the camera options. It is very easy to take photos and videos and a button on the side of the phone takes you straight to the camera/video for quick access in case you want to capture an unexpected moment. There are a couple of drawbacks: You have to keep the phone very still to take pictures/videos as it blurs horribly otherwise, and the camera also makes a loud click every time you take a picture, and this cannot be turned off. You therefore need a steady hand to take good pictures/videos and you may find it quite difficult to take photos in quiet settings

I have

Pictures of Sony Ericsson K750i
Sony Ericsson K750i Picture 1708095 tb
My New Shoe in dim lighting
found the call quality to be good, and have had pretty good reception using Virgin too. Managing your calls is easy by means of a shortcut key on the phone to your call lists. These contain a record of all the calls you have made, answered and missed, so that you can keep track of them. With the short cut keys that you can select yourself, I have created one to go straight to my phone book so that I can easily access my numbers and make a call.

One of the most impressive aspects of the phone is its memory size - with 41MB, it has one of the largest internal memory sizes on the market. Another feature that the K700i is lacking is expandable memory, but the average mobile user wont need it anyway with that amount of available memory.

I was concerned about the battery life at first because I had read some negative comments about it and when I received it I charged t for seven hours, and it still hadn't fully charged so I got bored of waiting and started using it. The next day the battery ran out so I wasn't exactly impressed. The battery life has since redeemed itself, and I haven't had any problems. It does seem to drain if playing games or sending lots of texts, but in theory it has up to 3 hours standby time and 420 minutes talk time, which is actually pretty good compared to many phones in it's league. If you are a heavy user, or like play games a lot, then it might not last too well, but I don't have any complaints.

For those that are into mobile downloads, you can download MP3 formats, java games (gone are the days of snake!) and the usual wallpapers and ringtones. It comes with 23 ringtones but they're not very good so may be glad of the MP3 downloads, but I personally can't be doing with much of that so I made up my own using the Music JD feature, which I have had hours of creative fun with, sadly. It allows you to create your own pieces of music comprised of a range of drum, bass, keyboard and trumpet chords. A lot of product descriptions say that you can't compose your own ringtones, but obviously that's wrong as I've now got a very individual and groovy ringtone that absolutely no-one else has.

In terms of usability, it's very easy to use because of the shortcuts and desk top layout but some may find the keys and joystick difficult to use. Navigation is simple, as with one click of the joystick you're taken through to the desktop (my terminology, I'm not sure if it's a used expression but I think it describes it well) and have a choice of 12 folders (messages, settings etc). Within each folder you then scroll down to the application you want, but not having to do this initially means that you save time accessing folders. The shortcut options allow you to store 4 shortcuts to your favourite applications/folders so that with just a touch of the joystick you can zip straight to them, so everything can be accessed either at or nearly at a touch of a button. Everything is so clearly set out - the lettering and graphics are clear, and everything is in logical order. The file manager folder is also a great idea - from one folder you can manage all your pictures, sounds, games, videos etc, and can create sub folders. So, for example under 'sounds', I created a sub folder called…. 'my own tunes', that contains all the little musical pieces that I 'composed' myself! Fantastic.

The keys are raised and quite wide, which I love as I hate flat keys like on clam shell phones, so now that I have got used to the joy stick (it takes a couple of days!) I find the phone great to use. However, one of my friends who has big fingers found it difficult to use because she said that the keys were too close together, and the joystick probably wouldn't be for everyone even though it is very responsive and flexible, so if you like traditional phones and have very large fingers, maybe stick to nokias.

Sony Ericsson's Quick Share technology means that this phone is a little interactive whiz. You can share files by Bluetooth, MMS, email, data cable and Infra red port. I don't know of any other phone on the market within the p.a.y.g £100 price range that contains blue tooth and infra red.

Text messaging is pretty straightforward - the features that I particularly like are: the ability to change between predictive and 'tap tap' text with a touch of a key, being able to send group texts and to create pre-prepared groups so that you can instantly send a text to a standard of group of people, and being able to write multiple texts in one message. Plus, when you go to send a message, it stores a list of recently messaged people so that the numbers of people you text regularly will be just a click away. There are only six choices of text message ring tone though, and none of them are particularly good - you can't make or import your own, and they are rather boring beeps, but bearable.

It's a bit more of a lads phone than a girl's as since choosing mine I have come across three blokes with the upgraded K750i yet no females with either, and the games being sporting ones kind of shows who this is aimed at, but I think girls will love it too as it has so many little touches that will appeal to all.

Some users have commented that they get a delay on answering a call, and that the phone has problems with freezing, durability and battery life. Although I think that heavy users may have to recharge the battery regulary, I haven't had a problem so far with any of these. Within two weeks I did already have a little scratch on the screen, and I worry about the rubber lid over the charging socket as I think it's going to come off soon, so there may be some durability problems over time. It therefore may not be great for someone who's a constant user and out and about the whole time as I think it could be subject to wear and tear. If you're an average user like me though, I think it should be fine.

Specification Overview:

41MB
VGA Camera (with 4x digital zoom, night mode)
Video with sound
Wap, email
Picture phone book
Tri band
65000 colour resolution
Weight 93g (fairly solid, but streamlined)
Standby time: up to 3 hours
Talk time: up to 420 minutes
Comes with hands free kit and computer software.
SAR rating of below 5 (This relates to radiation emission levels - below 5 is very good, thus minimising radiation levels when using the phone).

The K700i has now been replaced by the K750i, which remains very similar but with a few improvements: It has a 2 mega pixel camera with auto focus (a camera phone breakthrough), memory stick, longer battery life, and comes in a more masculine jet black colour. They're still so similar that if you want a p.a.y.g phone then the K700i will be fantastic value at around £100, saving at least £100 on K750i prices, but if you can get an upgrade on contract then the K750i would be an excellent choice too.

At time of writing, pay as you go prices range from £99-£139. Currys and Dixons currently have it at £99.

I've given 5 stars for overall because of the exceptional value for money. Excluding that factor it would get 4 stars because of the battery life and durability.

joffinjjim 11.09.2006 16:54

good review

Igloo_Vindaloo 30.05.2006 14:37

Nice review. I wish to take you up on your challenge - I got this phone free, with a 12 month contract on T-mobile and even the contract is refundable by vouchers. Too good to be true? Only if you forget to claim your money back! Follow the lins to The Mobile Outlet from my homepage (tim.zymurgy.org), then '12m free'. You'll see they have a k750i available with this offer at the moment. Have fun! ~Tim~

flumpet 24.04.2006 18:15

Thinking about getting this model so looked this review up - thanks for the useful info. Well balanced opinion with all the important info. :-)