pnbrady 4

pnbrady

Member since:17.04.2007

The k800i, setting the standards!

18.04.2007

Advantages:
It has just about all features you could want a phone to have

Disadvantages:
bigger than your average phone, internet quick link button on the front

Look & Feel

======================= =============

Contents:

a1. Introduction
a1.1 - About Me/My Review

Hi everyone, this will be my second review on Ciao, this review is about my K800i, the mobile phone I currently use until my contract expires in 5 months, I thought I would share my opinion on it. The review is based on research I have done and is also based on my own opinion of the phone, I have taken quite a lot of time to write this so I hope you enjoy it! =)

a1.2 - Using This Review

Because I know people on the whole would not like to read all this, I have designed a contents, similar with my other reviews, it will organise my review into different sections, so that if you only want to read about a certain section, you can skip to it. To get to the different sections, there is a code next to the titles of the headings, search that code on the page and it should take you to that section of the review.

a1.3 - Introduction to K800i

The K800i, released by Sony Ericsson in 2006 is one of the best camera phones out there, it has just about every feature possible to a phone, from infrared, to blue tooth, to video messaging, the phone is very exciting and a good all rounder. It is stylish, comes in 1 of 3 different colours and has a very good battery life, as for the ins and outs? I go more into depth about the phone below =)

=============================== =====

b2. Sony Ericsson K800i Specs

b2.1 - Technical Specs

Size: 105x47x22mm (4.1x1.8x0.9)
Weight: 115g (4.1oz)
Colours: Velvet black, concrete silver, royal silver (James Bond special edition)
Screen: 262,144 colour TFT, 240x320 pixel.
Memory: Memory Stick Micro (m2) support, Phone Memory 64mb
Networks: GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS
Talk Time: 2 hours 30min
Standby time: 350 hours
Video Call: 1hour 35 minutes

b2.2 - Quick Feature List

3.2 mega pixel camera, Internet, Media player, Radio, 3d Games, Java, Video streaming, Bluetooth, Infrared Port, Modem, PC Synchronisation, USB Mass Storage, USB Support, Email, MMS, SMS, Sound Recorder, Video DJ, Polyphonic ringtones, speakerphone, vibrating alert, video call, Alarm clock, calculator, contacts, flight mode, notes, phone book, stop watch, tasks, timer.
=========================== =========

c3. Appearance
c3.1 - Physical Design

Okay, the physical dimensions of the phone have already been described, so I am basically going to give you my personal description and opinion of the phone. The phone is not exactly big, but it is bigger than most phones I see these days, it is also a little bit heavier (although it is not heavy), even though it is bigger, it fits in my pockets nicely. It comes in 2 different shades of silver and black. It has a cover over the camera lens which you slide down, and 3 buttons on the right side, 1 to zoom in and out, 1 to take the photo. On the left side is a slot for the memory cards to go into. There are speakers on both the front and back of the phone, and at the bottom of the phone is the plug that you can attach USB (to PC), and the battery charger. There are a total of 18 buttons on the front of the phone and 1 joystick. There is a 'Sony Ericsson' logo on both the front and back of the phone. There is a lens on the front of the phone for video editing. The only bad thing about the physical design is the internet button on the front of it, I continuously connect to the internet on my phone because of it!

c3.2 - Interface Design

The interface is quite nice, because my phone is the limited edition James Bond phone, it came with a James Bond theme, however there are many different themes that come standard with the phone and that you can download from the internet. The main menu consists of 12 buttons: Actual phone homepage, [Phone Provider] Home page (mine is O2), Entertainment, Cyber-shot, messaging, Music Player, File Manager, Contacts, Video Call, Calls, Organizer and settings. The interface is very similar to most other Sony Ericsson phones designed around the time that the K800i was released. The interface is fast, stylish and easy to browse, making it for me, one of the best interfaces going for mobile phones.
========================== ==========

d4. Cool Features
d4.1 - Camera/Video

The camera is cyber-shot, which basically means its quite advanced. It also has flash built in for taking pictures at night. It has 4 different shoot modes; normal, bestpic, panorama and frames. It has 8 different scenes, auto, twilight landscape, twilight portrait, landscape, portrait, beach/snow, sports and document, each for different camera modes. You can change the camera to 3mp, 2mp, 1mp or VGA. You can also set the focus to auto, macro and infinite. It has a self timer, and special camera effects to change the image: Black & White, negative, sepia and solarise. You can change the white balance to auto, daylight, cloudy, fluorescent, incandescent, and the metering mode to normal or spot. You can customize the picture quality between fine pixels and normal, you can add time and date to the photos and choose your shutter sound.

The camera on this phone for me, is one of the best on the market, it is like having a phone built into a digital camera, I know for a fact its a lot better than my old digital camera, saying that I bought my digital camera cheap about 3 years ago, technology has improved a heck of a lot since then. The only problem with the camera is it can sometimes have a delay on taking the photo, causing moving objects to blur a little.

d4.2 - Gaming

Now, before I had this phone, I had quite old phones, so I was pretty impressed with the games on my phone, because they were 3D. It came with 'Tennis Multiplayer', 'Minigolf: Castles', and 'FotoQuestFishing'. I also downloaded 'Worms' and 'Sonic', which I also think are ace games, however these are not 3D. I think gaming has come on along way, and I enjoy playing these games on the train!

The idea behind FotoQuestFishing is, you are a diver/photographer, and you score points by taking photos of fish, the better the fish, the more points you score, the more points you score, the more areas you unlock and the higher your rating becomes! It is quite a fun game, especially for those who just like the laid back gaming genres.

Tennis Multiplayer is quite self explanatory, its Tennis in 3D that you can play either against the phone or against another player via Bluetooth, I am not a big fan of this game, but I have never liked tennis as a video game, however I know a few people who love playing it.

Minigolf: Castles is a fun game, I love mini golf as video games, and its even cooler in 3D! There are a total of 3 different zones and approx. 10 levels for each zone, you can play 1 person against the computer, 2 against the computer, even up to 4 players! This game is up there with Snake for mobile games!

I wont go into Sonic and Worms on the phone, because they do not come with the phone, those were bought for £3.00 by going on the Sony Ericsson website.

d4.3 - Face Warp

I have never seen this on a mobile phone before, its very funny, its usually a hit with my friends in general or at parties. Basically what I do is take a photo of someone's face, and Face Warm will distort it so that it is like looking in one of those crazy mirrors. It's a guaranteed laugh each time, and I never get bored with it!

d4.4 - Music DJ

Music DJ is not new to this phone, I know for a fact that it has been on several Sony Ericsson phones, it basically allows you to create your own ring tones (polyphonic) by placing a load of different riffs into a certain pattern, however it does drain the battery life quite a lot.

d4.5 - Radio

It is not the first phone to have a radio feature, however it is nice that I can use it as a radio, and the reception is better than previous phones I have owned with radio. It requires headphones that you plug into the phone (where you would plug it in to recharge it), and although I am not sure, I think it works as an aerial to receive the radio waves, because the radio will not work with out it. Once it is plugged in, you have the option of listening to the radio with head phones or on loud speaker.

========================= ===========

e7. My experience with the phone

e7.1 - How I feel about it

I really like this phone, I think it is a breakthrough in mobile technology (or cell phone if your American hehe!), I think it is well worth the money, and if you like taking photos, this is definitely the phone for you! When I carry this phone, it feels like I am carrying an mp3 player/radio, a camera and a phone, however I have the convenience of them all being in one! I would definitely recommend this phone to you!

e7.2 - What I paid

I have had the phone for about 6 months now, when I was first looking at the phone, I could have paid £225 for it on pay as you go, however I decided to go with o2 pay monthly contract. I signed a 12 month contract with o2 at £20 a month, which enabled me to obtain the phone for free. I get 60 minutes free talk time a month and 200 free text messages, I think it is actually worthwhile going for the pay monthly contract instead of the pay as you go.
============================== ======

f9. Conclusion

So there you go, the phone is stylish, good at taking photos, has just about all features you could ask of a phone, its just a good phone to own! It is a shame that it has to have the internet button on the front of it, and that it is bigger than your average phone, however those 2 problems aside, I think its one of the best phones on the market, and will probably be for another 6 months!

Thanks for reading my review, I hope you found it useful! Here is a link to the Sony Ericsson website if you would like to see the phone in 3D =)

www.sonyericsson.com

zeroo_cool 02.07.2009 22:42

i have been read and rate your review, please read and rate my review . tanks

Dudo_Perudo 21.04.2007 21:21

Never too keen on such a systematic approach to reviewing...but liked this a lot...very accessible. Terry

lain_chan 18.04.2007 21:07

Contents list is excellent, very clear and well written. I cant think of any more that you can add :)