Sony Ericsson T610

Sony Ericsson T610

Review of "Sony Ericsson T610"

published 22/01/2004 | salem_witch
Member since : 27/11/2003
Pro Has an inbuilt camera and in full colour.
Cons Screen not very visible in bright light. Software can be slow.
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Sony Ericsson T610"

My first thoughts
I have waited some time before writing this review I had mixed feelings when I first got it. I would have given it a bad review had I done it straight away. However, I decided to wait till I was used to it so I could give a comprehensive review rather than a rant.
I must admit the real reason for me not liking it was the simple fact that I was used to Nokias. My first ever mobile was a Motorola Memphis (housebrick!) then a Ericsson A1018s (which was great) then it was Nokia after Nokia (3210, 8110 and 8310). So for practically 5 years I had one form or another of Nokia. So I was set in my ways I guess and changing makes was not the easiest of things to do!
So what didn’t I like about it at first? I’ll be honest it was texting. Anyone who owns a Nokia or has done in the past will know to get a space you need to press 0. Well with the Sony Ericsson it’s the # button. It doesn’t sound much but as a frequent texter I never ‘thought’ about which buttons I was pressing, it just became second nature. As a result this simple change threw me! It took me a couple of months to get used to but now I’m used to it and would probably have difficulty with a Nokia!

Why did I buy it?
Well I wanted a camera phone. My sister has moved to Canada for 6 months (snowboarding!) and I wanted to send her pictures of our cats. I don’t have a digital camera and once I read you could send pictures from your mobile to an email address I was sold.
So I knew I wanted one. But which one? I started to do a bit of research as I knew I didn’t want the Nokia 7250I as I heard it had been having software problems and this was enough to put me off. So I started with a booklet I got from the Orange shop to see which ones I liked the look of. I was still unsure so I got online and came here and read a few reviews. It was here I read a review praising it but I was still unsure.
I went ahead and rang Orange as I figured they might be able to advise me. Well the woman I spoke to was lovely but they weren’t allowed to recommend phones. Still she informed me if I wasn’t happy with the mobile I could return it within 7 days. So I thought I’d go for it!

When it arrived
As with all new mobiles I had to fully charge it for 12 hours. I also had to register my SIM card all of which was easy. The only downside was having to enter my phonebook in again (how many people do I know!)

Look
You must have seen this phone by now. Everyone seems to have it on offer and its been widely advertised. For those of you who have no idea I will try my best at describing it. It’s a small silver phone with the usual buttons. It also has a joystick which you use to scroll through the menus. Its intended use was for games. It has a built in camera so the lens is at the back of the phone. I personally have a leather case which keeps it nice and clean. The lens does still show so you don’t need to take it out of the case to take your pictures!
Another great feature is its in colour! It makes it that much nicer when using it. And of course who wants their photos in black and white? For those of you who do this is possible (more later).
You can also load your own wallpaper. There is a default picture and this all depends on your network provider. Orange have some kind of box dog chasing cheese! Well that’s what it looks like to me. You can also load your own screensaver. Both these can be downloaded of you can use your photos which is what I have done.

Phonebook
As with all mobiles there is a phonebook. You can store a persons name, home number, work number, mobile number, fax number, other number, email address, title and company. This is handy for those using it for business. You don’t have to have all of these visible. If you go into options and then contact info (in phonebook) you can tick or untick the headings you want.
Another great thing you can do is assign a ringtone and picture to your contacts. This is a great way of personalising your mobile and you can see who is ringing you and who has texted!

Camera
This is the main reason I upgraded to this mobile, It’s very easy to use. There is a button on the side (left) that goes straight into the camera rather than using the menu. To take a picture just press capture! You have the option to discard it or save it (it then gets saved into My Pictures). When saved you can change the name of the picture by going into My Pictures, clicking on the picture you want to change, click on more and then rename. You can change the size of the picture and on to night mode. I haven’t used night mode so I’m unsure how clear the pictures are.
There are also various effects you can achieve. Black and white, negative and sepia. Again I have never used these so wouldn’t like to comment on them. There is also a self-timer so you can get yourself in the picture. I’m not sure how this can be achieved though. How would you stand the mobile up? Ah well nice thought though!
Most importantly you are able to send your snapshots to other mobiles that are able to receive them. I send mine as emails mostly. A tip: send them to yourself and the forward them. This saves time, as you don’t need to enter loads of addresses and money. As far as I’m aware the cost of sending a photo is approx. 40p. Every network will be different so you need to check.

SMS
As mentioned earlier it took some time before I got used to texting. This was only because I was used to a Nokia. I am now used to this mobile now! The phone does have predictive text and you can turn this off if you prefer. When using a word that isn’t in the dictionary your suggested word is then added to save to having to enter it each time.
A feature I liked is it saves your sent messages into Sent Items so you can see what you have sent. Great for those with a bad memory. You will have to delete these at some stage as they take up part of the SMS memory.
I chose to have delivery reports on so I know when the message has been delivered. This took me some time to find. You have to go into Messaging – Text – Options – Status Request and here you can turn it on or off.

Polyphonic
Yes it has polyphonic tones! I love this and at the moment have Sugababes Too Lost In You. Its worth mentioning you can compose your own tunes in Music DJ, this can be found in Pictures & Sounds. Again I have never used this but a bloke from work did and was really impressed.

WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)
This phone has WAP so you can find the latest information on news, weather, sports, train times and much more. It’s easy to use and I use it mainly to check out cinema times when I’m not in my hometown.
You can bookmark sites and with Orange you have ‘Your Page’ which allows you to add things to it. I have my local cinema added as this saves time.
You can access WAP by pressing the joystick up, pushing the button on the side (right) or from the menu.
It is also GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) enabled. This basically allows you to remain connected to WAP all the time but you only pay for the information you download.

Bluetooth
I didn’t really understand this so I had to do a little research rather than leaving it out. So what is it? It’s a way of exchanging information with a wireless connection. For example, you can exchange contacts from your phonebook to say a laptop.

Games/Java
There are already pre-set games (no not Snake!) but as the phone has Java you can download games via WAP. You are only charged standard WAP service charges.
The games:
Colourbug - this is a Java game. I don’t really understand it so I gave up!
Q*bert – also a Java game. You basically have to jump on all of the squares avoiding the objects that are not green. I have made it to level 2 but only in the name of research!
Minigolf – basically you play golf. I found this difficult, as I don’t normally play golf games.
I’m not sure whether these games are pre-set to the phone of depend on your network.

Making Calls
I nearly forgot to mention this! This is simple to do. You can either go into your phonebook and call that way or if you push the joystick down it comes up with a list of your contacts.

Joystick
Up – WAP
Down – Call contact list
Left – Ring volume
Right – Main menu

Call List
This stores your missed, received and made calls. This works like any other mobile. One point to note is if you miss a call only the last call from that person is logged with the number of times in total in brackets e.g. Home (10) 16th Jan 04.

Shortcuts
You can tick/untick your favourite functions. You can also choose the position number.

Keypad lock
This avoids accidental calls. If you want you can have it turn on automatically after 25 seconds (Settings – Locks – Auto Locks).

Other functions worth mentioning: -
 Calendar
 Infrared
 Alarm
 Timer
 Calculator
 Note
 Stopwatch

A downside to the Sony Ericsson T610 is visibility of the screen when it is bright. This may pose a problem when out in direct sunlight. Also I have found the software to be slow on a number of occasions.

Overall though I would recommend this mobile. I hope I have covered all the information needed. Any questions or feedback is welcomed.

• dc1971 published 02/06/2006
    Excellent review... very informative
  • baby_uk published 03/11/2005
    well done on getting a diamond for this
  • JohnGroom published 20/09/2005
    Great review. I've been considering a new phone so I have taken this information on board....oooops...still a bit piratey! Cheers, John

Product Information : Sony Ericsson T610

With its large screen, sophisticated design and easy-to-use imaging features, the T610 is visually powerful in every respect. The T610 opens up new ways to share experiences. It introduces QuickShare, which makes sharing memorable moments with your friends easier than ever before. Snap a picture with the built-in camera and you're ready to share - because the philosophy behind QuickShare is to make sure sharing is just a few clicks away. Take the time to explore the T610. A built-in camera, a high-resolution color screen and a new graphical interface are among the features that make the T610 a mobile experience out of the ordinary. The T610 features a high-resolution screen with 65, 536 colors. More importantly, the T610 takes advantage of the large screen by introducing a graphical interface that focuses on ease of use. Soft keys make applications easier and faster to use. Hotlinks in menus give you direct access to various services. And animated icons and color add life to the desktop and menus. A large screen also gives you space: four rows of menu icons instead of three, and plenty of room for your messages, of course. The T610 supports the Java and Mophun platforms, making the widest range of mobile games and applications available for you to download. A set of exciting games is included in the phone, and more are readily available for download. With direct links to gaming websites in the Entertainment menu, it just couldn't be easier to get yourself a brand-new gaming experience. Again and again. It's your phone. So, make it look and sound the way you want it. Personalize your phone with wallpapers, screensavers and themes. Use your own pictures or download content from the web. Create your own ringtone with the built-in Music DJ (patent applications pending). Using a library of pre-stored instruments, rhythms and melodies, it takes literally just a few minutes. The T610 is filled with functions to make it uniquely yours.

Product Description: Sony Ericsson T610 - aluminium haze - GSM - mobile phone, Sony Ericsson T610 - abyss blue - GSM - mobile phone, Sony Ericsson T610 - volcanic red - GSM - mobile phone, Sony Ericsson T610 - GSM - mobile phone

Product Type: Mobile phone

Colour: Aluminium haze, Abyss blue, Volcanic red

Technology: GSM

Band: Tri Band

Integrated Components: Digital camera, voice recorder

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth, Infrared (IrDA)

Display: LCD display - colour

Messaging & Data Features: WAP Push, OTASP/OTAPA support

Communications

Data Transmission: GPRS

High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD): Yes

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth, Infrared (IrDA)

Communication Features: Mobile Email client, Internet browser

Phone Features

Phone Functions: Voice control, call timer, conference call, voice dialing, vibrating alert

Voice Control Functions: Voice answering, change profile, voice recorder

Speech Codec: EFR, FR, HR, AMR

Polyphonic Ringer: Yes

Additional Features: Intelligent Typing (T9), SIM application toolkit (STK), closed user groups, photo album, downloadable JAVA applications, picture phonebook, melody composer

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, synchronization with PC, calculator, reminder, countdown timer, stopwatch, currency conversion, alarm clock

Dialed Calls Memory: 30

Display

Type: LCD display - colour

Display Resolution: 128 x 160 pixels

Colour Depth: 65,536 colours

Display Indicators: Silent ring signal, divert indicator, digital clock, GPRS indicator, missed calls indicator, Bluetooth indicator, alarm clock indicator, IR port indicator, active profile icon, signal strength, text message waiting, voice message waiting, keypad lock, battery meter

Display Illumination Colour: White