Sony MDR110LP

Sony MDR110LP

Review of "Sony MDR110LP"

published 01/10/2008 | EVIT
Member since : 02/06/2008
Pro Quality, loudness, price, comfortable, durable
Cons none for me (for others maybe the lack of volume control)
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

"Great quality headphones - great price too"

When you think of good headphones you think of either those gigantic buns which look bigger than the head or those of minute dimensions that seem to disappear in the ear in the most complicated twists of modern design. In both cases the spelling is E - X - P - E - N - S - I - V - E.

What I want to introduce to the general public (aka people that are not professional users of headphones but doesn't mean they have to buy and use rubbish ones) are the Sony MDR-110LP. The most underrated and unknown headphones of Sony, possibly also the cheapest.

I have owned a pair for what seem to be decades and now that my fianceé took them away for herself (and for good reason too) I find myself LOST and surrounded but sub-standard cheap substitutes and with no intention of spending money for a new pair (what a cheap one I am lol).

The MDR-110LPs (Sony should really start naming products with names and not codes) fall in the "Lightweight Overhead" section. As a matter of fact, their weight is just 50g!

Let's see some specification from the website:

- Lightweight overhead type headphones
- Open air style with 30mm driver unit (that means that sides can be extended for people with taller heads or just in general for a more pleasurable position, it's quite a smart solution because they are very comfy)
- High-quality sound reproduction with large 30 mm driver unit
- Both sided cord

Yeah yeah but what's good about them? Afterall, they have nothing fancy? Not even a volume control!
Allright they don't have a volume control but this model is great in its semplicity and in its quality.
It comes in a simple black colour with 1m long cable which is usually perfect length for mp3 players laying in your pockets. As I explained before it also has extendable sides for best comfort (because they are comfortable to wear). But what I really love about them is the sound quality and the loudness of them. They can be loud yes! And with no quality loss. What makes them sounding even better is the fact that the part you put on your ear is very large and the material that covers the magnets (I think that's what they are called) can virtually isolate you from outside noises which is perfect for outdoor and bus/train travels.
They are of course stereo and they are usually good priced (I think around £6-8). They last forever! I've had them for more than 10 years in all sort of travels, stuffed into bags, pockets, everywhere and they are still as new.
I also have an extension for them that I think came with the packet when I bought them but I never used it unless I plug them to the PC (in that case the 1m cable is just a bit too short).

They are definitely a great purchase, great sound, durability and they look quite ok too. I mean there are some really ugly ones around lol.

I hope you enjoyed my review. I also hope I was of some help for those of you who are looking for a pair of quality headphones but do not fancy to spend a fortune.

____________________________
Some more info on Sony website:

• pgn0 published 13/01/2009
    I found this review to be both entertaining and factual, and I loved the twist in the tale ;-) Ranks an E in my book...
  • blackmagicstar4 published 01/10/2008
    good review x
  • danmclovin published 01/10/2008
    It's a shame you don't return many ratings!