Sony Vaio VGN-C2Z/B

Sony Vaio VGN-C2Z/B

Review of "Sony Vaio VGN-C2Z/B"

published 18/07/2007 | robpaz
Member since : 22/11/2006
Pro Stylish, Quick + Capable, Large Memory, Large hard drive + excellent screen quality
Cons Overheats very quickly, sound levels are very quiet..
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"Affordable portable laptop with couple of flaws."

I bought this laptop for £821 from dabs.com as a replacement for my IBM T41.

I had spent a long time spent looking at my options after deciding wanted a laptop with a Core 2 Duo T5500(or better), 2GB+ RAM and a screen of around 14". There were a number of laptops available with one or the other but very few that met all of the criteria I had set.

The two standout laptops that met my requirements were the Dell XPS 13" and this Sony Vaio C2Z/B. After much deliberating I decided to go for the Sony.

This turned out to be a brilliant decision as this has turned out to be a great replacement for my IBM.

On first impressions the laptop looks very professional and could easily pass as a business laptop if you didn't want to spend the £1000+ that sony's business laptops cost. The case is all black on the outside with a stylish brown trim around the edge of the keyboard and and around the mouse pad and buttons. The laptop weight a decent amount and is certainly not as heavy as my old IBM one.

On opening the lid of the laptop I noticed that it doesn't have any sort of lock to keep the lid down (all of my previous laptops had a slide lock device that kept the lid shut when it wasn't in use. I did think this was going to be a problem but the laptop lid is stiff enough that it doesn't make a difference and it is actually quite nice not having to fiddle to find the slide lock every time you need to open it.

The screen on the laptop is absolutely brilliant and can be seen in a wide range of lighting situations as well as from a decent viewing angle. The mouse pad and buttons are excellent and have a feel of quality to them. After using the mouse pad for a while I occasionally noticed that when I tried to move the mouse cursor it would scroll in windows as if I was holding the mouse button down. I later learned that if you touch the right or bottom edges of the mouse pad it has a window scroll feature built in which now comes in very handy!

The laptop came with Windows Vista installed on it and when I turned it on it recognised and connected to my home wireless network straight away. Vista proceeded to download some updates and after about 5 minutes I was good to go. The 120GB hard drive is more than enough and that's even with all of my CD's burnt to mp3.

I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of speed with Vista on there as I had heard a few horror stories about it slowing laptops down considerably but so far I have not had a single problem. Even when editing photos and playing music at the same time (two fairly demanding tasks) the laptop kept its speed.

As you may have guessed, I am extremely happy with the laptop and have had absolutely no problems in the 4 months I have had it. There are two things that stand out as a problem for me.

The one major bugbear I have with the laptop is the heat that the laptop gives out when it is being used for absoultely anything at all. Once the laptop has been turned on it takes about 5 minutes before it is hot on the underside of it. When completing more demanding tasks the heat can actually build up to the point where it is nearly unbearable but I have spoken to Sony about this and they say that it is the norm with this laptop. I have since started putting the laptop on a wooden board whenever I use it and this has definately helped.

The other problem (if you could call it that) is the sound levels that the laptop gives. I watch a lot of videos and films on my laptop and like to be able to lie/sit with the laptop a fair distance from me. This was never a problem with my old laptops but after using my C2Z/B for this I had to buy speakers in order to be able to hear anything. I originally thought this could be a result of the sound levels on the videos themselves but having tried various files and dvd's I have come to the conclusion it is the laptop that has a low sound level on it.

All in all the laptop has been a brilliant purchase. If you intend to use your laptop for sound/video files I would suggest a set of external speakers and would advise against leaving the laptop on your lap/bed/carpet for too long. Other than that it is well worth buying and you will no doubt be the envy of all your friends with your small, sylish and (more importantly) affordable Sony laptop!

This review was read 2065 times and was rated at

• Miskah published 19/07/2007
    Great review ♥Beth

Product Information : Sony Vaio VGN-C2Z/B

The Sony VAIO C-Series range offers greater freedom of choice without compromising style - through color, design and mobility. Not only by means of its features and content but also by its astonishing looks, the VAIO C-Series becomes part of your life and part of who you are.

Product Description: Sony VAIO VGN-C2Z/B - 13.3" - Core 2 Duo T5500 - Vista Home Premium - 2 GB RAM - 120 GB HDD

Product Type: Notebook

Storage

Main Storage: 120 GB HDD / 5400 rpm

Interface: SATA 1.5 Gb/s

Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM

Read Speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)

Write Speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD±R DL)

CD / DVD Rewrite Speed: 24x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)

Display

Type: 13.3"

Resolution: 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Widescreen: Yes

Battery

Technology: Lithium Ion

Run Time: Up to 2.7 hours

Connections & Expansion

Slots: 2 x memory ( 0 free ) ¦ 1 x ExpressCard/34 ( 1 free )

Interfaces: 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 PIN FireWire ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11 ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 2 x USB 2.0 - 4 PIN USB Type A ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x display / video - S-video output - 4 PIN mini-DIN ¦ 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Memory Card Reader: Yes ( Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo )

Miscellaneous

Colour: Timeless black, Black

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)

Included Accessories: Memory card reader (PC card)

Localization: English / United Kingdom

Dimensions & Weight

Width: 33 cm

Depth: 23.6 cm

Height: 3.7 cm

Weight: 2.3 kg

Software

Software Included: Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition (Trial), Skype, VAIO Recovery Utility 2.6, Microsoft Works 8.5, Google Software Pack, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, Adobe Reader 8.0, Norton Internet Security 2007 (90 days subscription), Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, Sony Click to DVD 2.6, Sony DVgate Plus 2.3, Sony SonicStage CP 4.2, WinDVD for VAIO 8.0, Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.0

Manufacturer Warranty