Southend on Sea in General

Southend on Sea in General

Review of "Southend on Sea in General"

published 20/03/2004 | axford25
Member since : 11/03/2004
Good
Pro Some good attractions, long high street
Cons Not very safe at night

"dead end southend"

Southend on sea is on the essex coast and is a typical sea side resort. Durring the summer southend is full of day trippers, and tourists from abroad. Americans, germans and the French mainly. Personaly I cant see the attraction.

I left home at 15 and moved to Southend, Westcliff on sea really. Which is still classed as Southend as the two towns are located next to each other. And have never left, I dont like it, but family ties and my husbands work keep us here.

Easy to get to.

Southend is very easy to travel to there are two train stations, Southend Central which is located next to the high street and Southen Victoria which is located near a museum.

There are also many bus routes and coach trips coming into Southend

Atractions

I supose the main attraction in Southend is Peter Pans ( Adventure Island). This is an amusement park with rides for tiny tots and for adults. Peter Pans is located along the sea front,(that always makes me laugh as Southend isnt next to the sea at all. It is the Thames river not the sea.)There are water rides, rollercoasters, haunted house all the rides you would expect to see.

Also along the sea front is the sea life centre my son loves it here as we have tropical fish. It is a good few hours fun.

The Kersal is another atraction this has bowling, night club, arrcade and they also do shows. There are also many arcades. there is even a Quazar this is great fun.

Shopping

Southend high street is very clean and tidy and just had a new face lift. At one end of the high street is Odeon and the other is the Royals Shopping Centre, with stores like Debenhams, TK Max, Boots, First sport, Evans, Littlewoods/Index and many more.

Night life

There are many clubs in Southend, Tots 2000 is the main club. It is located near the sea front as is basically everything. The clubs are full of possers, and should be called meat markets as this better discribes what goes on in them. Not really my scene.

If this is not your scene I recomend the Sun Rooms this is a great pub and well worth a visit if you are ever in Southend.

After reading this you are probably thinking Southend sounds ok. It isnt, the crime rate is disgusting ranging from petty crime to murder. I know you get this every where but I lost count of the number of murdres or attempted murders tha happened last year.Walking down the streets you get teenagers asking if you can get them drugs. Gangs of kids hanging about because ther is nothing for them to do.

I dont go out at night unless I am with a group of friends and wouldnt advise anyone else to. The best thing to do is keep yourself to your self.

If only day tripping or having a short brake Southend is fine. I would actually go as far as to say fun, but living here is a totaly different experiance. Luckily we have found a quiet area of Westcliff to bring our son up. Where there hasnt been any trouble. I just hope it doesnt spread.

If you are visiting Southend you have to try The Three Shells warm doughnuts, they are out of this world

thanks for reading

• m.lyon published 22/03/2004
    You weren't selling it too well until you mentioned donuts!!!! Nice op. marc
  • DarkDave published 20/03/2004
    Know what you mean...I regularly find myself in Southend as I have nowhere better to be...never stay for long though, especially on a weekend evening....all the scumbags and slappers are out in force. Not fun! Having said that though, on a hot summers day it's nice to take a gentle ride down on the bike and have an ice-cream and/or hot dog from Doodahs! Take care, DD
  • Minha published 20/03/2004
    I shall have to visit again - used to go regularly to shop - sounds different so I'll have to have a look! Hazel xx

Product Information : Southend on Sea in General