Spar Supermarkets

Spar Supermarkets

Review of "Spar Supermarkets"

published 24/01/2003 | wilfredcat
Member since : 08/10/2002
Purple is my favourite colour.
Good
Pro Local shop, long hours, good prices on alcohol
Cons narrow range, small, often crowded shops
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"In support of Spar"

After reading some fairly damning reviews of Spar corner shops, I would like to try and redress the balance. I think that most people would agree that it is not a good idea to do your main grocery shop in these stores. But what happens when you have forgotten to buy cat food on a Sunday night, or you have drunk your last tin of beer and your mates come round. I've got a feeling I rely on our local Spar shop more than you might think...

Before I had children I would never have set foot inside a Spar. Perhaps it was because my memory was better then. Or perhaps paying a few pennies more for a few essentials doesn't seem as important if the alternative is to transfer two young children from home, to car, to supermarket trolley and then back again, amidst serious protest. In any case, I am now a regular visitor to our local store, which has surprisingly good pushchair access for a small shop. I know I am not alone. Last year, the store in Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, where I live was earmarked for redevelopment by the council, who eventually had to back down in the face of massive opposition by the local residents.

The store itself is fairly small, with products packed into every available space. The prices are not as good as the large supermarkets, but I have my reservations about many of the large, global companies who own the supermarkets. Their prices are cheap now, but who knows what might happen if they finally wipe out all the competition?? Okay, perhaps that's a little paranoid.

I have noticed that the vegetables are usually fairly decent, and actually priced well in comparison with other supermarkets (except Morrisons, which is difficult to beat on anything!). Likewise you can get a good deal on alcohol. THere are usually also one or two offers of the week that are definitely worth having. Our local newsagent also stocks groceries, and is much more expensive than Spar.

The product range is minimal, but they do have one kind of most things you could have forgotten in your main shop. The only exception I have found to this is that they have practically no vegetarian ready-meals or products such as Quorn.

Whenever I visit my local Spar shop, there seems to be a steady trickle of customers. Many of them are pensioners, and many do not have their own transport. For those who do not have access to a car like I do, I think it does represent the best value available within walking distance.

For me, personally, the Spar shop is a handy place to go when I have forgotten something. It provides the basics, is easily accessible, and serves the needs of many people who could not easily get to one of the larger supermarkets. While I hope never to be in this position, I would like to think that there will be a familiar, rather tired-looking Spar shop around for me if I ever have to rely on it.

• sprightlynan published 14/02/2003
    Our local Farm foods are similar, I wouldn't be without them. Well done for speaking up.
  • sarsons published 05/02/2003
    Another good op. Corner shops definately have their role to play. My mam would be lost if she didn't have hers at the end of her street. They are a godsend if you are less free to get out and about. Andy
  • Bigbaz published 28/01/2003
    One in Newcastle served us well for many years until it closed due to a Safeway branch opening nearby. Shame it was handy..Baz

Product Information : Spar Supermarkets