Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Telescopic Anvil Loppers

A Selection of tools with the finest cutting edges.

Review of "Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Telescopic Anvil Loppers"

published 13/02/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Comfortable to hold, effective cutters, well made.
Cons None

"Spear & Jackson Anvil Loppers"

First impressions

I am quite familiar with the Spear & Jackson brand now because I own a number of their gardening tools. These loppers are designed to tackle more substantial branches than something like a pair of shears. The high pivot point in addition to the short blade length ensures that you can achieve good leverage when cutting through some of the tougher tree and shrub branches.

These loppers certainly look the part and can extend from 18 inches right up to 30 inches if required. This means that they are designed to tackle a range of tasks and this extendability could be the difference between having to climb a ladder and working from the ground. The lightweight aluminium handles mean that these are fairly manageable to hold and it takes a good while before your arms should begin to ache due to the weight of them. The carbon steel blades are another great addition and they are hardened and tempered meaning that they will last and are very hard wearing. The blades are PTFE coated aswell and are part of the 'Razorsharp' range.

My experience

The first thing I noticed when holding these loppers is that the handles are adjustable. You can extend them by an additional 12 inches which is quite a substantial distance. You must twist the base of the handles to the end of the rubber moulded sleeves. These sleeves are designed for comfort and grip and make the loppers easy to hold even when wet. Once you have twisted the base of the handles you can then extend or reduce the length of them and then secure them back into place. This is a great little feature and often with this type of product you may find that some extendable handles can be adjusted by pulling or pushing them which can mean that they change in length as you use them!

I use these loppers for tackling the main branches on the top of our conifers. They are very easy to use and due to the design of them you do not need to put a great deal of effort into them to cut some fairly thick branches. I were quite surprised at just how sharp the blades are and how effective they are. Some tasks which I thought were tough to tackle were cut down to size in no time. Don't get me wrong, you won't be cutting down tree trunks with them, though they can tackle some branches that your cheap and nasty loppers may struggle with.

I am very happy with the design of these loppers and they ooze quality. Not only is it the look and feel of the materials but these loppers are designed very well with the neat adjustable handles and rubber grips for comfort and safety. The advantage of using aluminium for the handles is that they are lightweight and although you may think that this unbalances the product due to the relatively heavy blades I don't think this is the case at all.

Price and availability

Priced at £27.99 on the Amazon website (delivered) this is a very competitively priced pair of loppers. I would advise shopping around as always and you may be able to get a good deal from one of the major DIY stores.

Final thoughts

I would definitely recommend the Spear & Jackson Anvil Loppers. Their quality is second to none and I have owned loppers in the past and also own another set of them, though I prefer these for sure. The Spear & Jackson brand is one I am much more aware of now and enjoy looking out for their products when buying gardening tools. I have so many of their tools for the garden that I suppose you could say I have a bit of an obsession. They are all colour coded and I think you can buy them all as a set.

• StewwyB published 15/03/2015