Specsavers Opticians (Shop)

Specsavers Opticians (Shop)

Review of "Specsavers Opticians (Shop)"

published 23/09/2006 | Dan_ep
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Surprisingly good service, cheap!
Cons Feel sorry for the local optician

"I look cool again!"

OOPS... I STOOD ON MY GLASSES!
---------------------------------------------------------

After standing on my glasses a few weeks ago I finally had the excuse to trash my dated old pair for a new pair... or 2 pairs as it turned out!

I usually wear contact lenses and had been putting off buying a new pair of specs as they are just so expensive. To put this into context, about a year ago, I went to my local, friendly optician who I have used for years and was quoted £280 for a pair of specs! I admit they were made by DKNY, but still, I thought it was a lot!

So I kept on with my old glasses until I drunkenly stood on them.

I was initially worried that I was going to have to shell out a huge wad to become spectacled again. But one of my mates suggested Specsavers. I had always assumed it was a cheap and nasty store but I was quite wrong... Standing on my glasses was a blessing in disguise, I now look trendy again and I found Specsavers!

SO WHAT DO THEY OFFER??
--------------------------------------------------

To be simplistic, Specsavers basically an optician with a large shop attached.

They offer -

- the usual range of sight tests, including free NHS tests for those who qualify. Sometimes you can just turn up without an appointment.
- a huge range of glasses
- contact lens fitting / supplies
- lensed goggles!
- digital hearing aids (randomly!) - but you have to go to one of their special 'hear care' branches for this.

WHY USE THEM?
----------------------------------

I didnt use their optician services, but I have two friends that have used them for years and can vouch for them being very comprehensive with their check-ups. They trust them implicitly. But I guess most opticians cost the same for sight tests and all offer the same service, so you may as well stick with the practice you already know, seeing as they have your old records.

Specsavers comes into its own when looking for a pair of specs, their range and prices are awesome.

GLASSES RANGE
---------------------------------

Even the smaller stores carry a huge range of mens / womens and unisex glasses. They have a large selection of £99 'own brand' specs, some of which look pretty decent. But they also have a comprehensive range of branded specs. Brands include Red or Dead, Diesel, FCUK, Hugo Boss and Quicksilver (to name a few!) Most are priced from £125 - 150

They also do a range sunglasses, and lensed goggles.

TRY THEM ON
-------------------------------

You are encouraged to try on the glasses and they have a camera which will take a pic of you so you can see what you look like. To be honest, the camera takes rubbish pics and you always look hideous (well, I did anyway!) Take a partner or friend for the best advice!! There were plenty of staff on the shop floor who seemed to know the range well and were happy to help. The staff were quite honest and friendly, they didn't mind telling you if they thought a particular pair suited you or not (the woman kept bursting out laughing for most of the pairs I tried on!)

FOUND FRAMES YOU LIKE?? NOW GET THE LENSES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specsavers will happily take a prescription from another optician and make the lenses from them. If you find a frame you like, tell one of the attendents and they will take to you a desk for fitting, and a few more optimetric (is that a real word?) tests to tailor the lense to your particular facial dimensions. Unlike your average optician, the frame prices include the lenses, although of course you will always be charged a bit extra to make the lens slimmer, scratch proof, non-reflective etc. All the extras were things you cant really say no to when you think about the consequences of not having them! Unfortunately they didnt offer a protective mechanism to prevent me standing on them again in a drunken stupor!

TIME TO MAKE THE LENSES
------------------------------------------------

This typically takes a week or so, much like any other optician. This is unless you are in one of the very large stores, for example Tottenham Court Road in London, where they did mine in one hour!! If they have to send them away they call you when they are back and ready for collection.

THE OFFERS!
--------------------------

Specsavers always have offers and this is why I ended up using them. Until they end of August (but they told me, this offer comes out every few months with only short gaps in between without offers) they offered 2 for the price of one. I thought there would be a catch, but it was true. You have to buy them from the £125 and over range, but to be honest, I wanted a branded pair anyway (so sad I know!) So I eneded up getting two trendy pairs for £160 in total!! A bargain I thought.

THE SERVICE
---------------------------

I think that Sepcsavers is the Tesco of the opticial world, but in fact the service was exceptional. They were very patient with me (I was frustratingly non decisive!) and offered me lots of advice. The spent a long time fitting the frames and didnt mind re-adjusting it a few times (I was a really annoying customer!) And above all, they were very friendly.

So ....
---------------

So although I do feel sorry for my local family run optical store, I saved loads of money and still got personal service and two great pairs of specs from Specsavers. I have been told that their lenses arent quite as good, but I really cant notice any difference at all. A big thumbs up, or 5/5!!

Store locations
-----------------------
They are everywhere!! There are too may to list but you can find a branch by going to the following website:

Enjoy being a cool 4 eyes!

Dan.

• Expired-Account published 31/08/2007
    I go to Specsavers, but not been in awhile, very helpful review
  • oldwasp published 08/04/2007
    Great review, you have give me a great insight into this shop
  • minxy106 published 12/11/2006
    I love this shop too, I finally got a pair of glasses (well 2 actually) that compliment my face, thanks to their 'photo service' you get to see what the glasses really look like on you. I found 2 pairs and they were in the '2 for £80' section, well chuffed!!!

Product Information : Specsavers Opticians (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 08/11/2000