Spendor S9

Front / Stereo - Passive - Wireless

Review of "Spendor S9"

published 15/08/2007 | NomisG
Member since : 05/08/2007
Pro Unflappable sound quality, looks and real wood finishes
Cons Need a large room and top quality source and amp
Sound Quality
Bass Quality
Treble Quality
Midrange Quality
Look & Design

"Perfection from a Loudspeaker?"

In the interests of disclosure, I used to sell these speakers!
They look superb, especially with the grills removed, and sound just incredible. They were always the speakers I would sit people unacostomed to Hi-Fi in front of.
They are large but not too imposing and the sound quality on absolutely any music you throw at them is unbelievable. They have the sense of timing and pinpoint imagery of a small speaker but the bass extension and sheer SLAM of a much larger system. Unless you want to burst your eardrums, you would never need a sub with these puppies.
When I wanted to listen to music, these were my choice (and I could have chosen speakers several times their price...). They are incredibly revealing, producing a 3D soundstage you could walk through and yet totaly relaxing to listen too. Intimate jazz, full scale clasical, Rock ('Dark Side of the Moon' - WOW) electronica, even rap - our customers threw it all at them and they just performed like nothing else.
They really respond to a big amp and that should be of the absolute first quality. They responded nicely to SimAudios and especially well with the Pathos Logos. Even an MC-275 sounds good with them.
Of course, a top quality source is deserved too.
In summary, if my budget streched that far and my neighbours would allow it, I'd have a pair. Oustanding.