Spirit of Africa - Kenyan Boys Choir (The)

Spirit of Africa - Kenyan Boys Choir (The)

1 CD(s) - African - Label: Decca - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 29/06/2009 - 602527072593

Review of "Spirit of Africa - Kenyan Boys Choir (The)"

published 17/04/2012 | happysh2009
Member since : 17/03/2009
Thank you very much for the ratings and will always return.
Pro See review.
Cons See review.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Real African Music Brings Joy and Hope"

Back to 2009, it was a very stressful year for me. So I bought a few music CDs on Amazon website. Spirit of Africa is one of them.

The CD:

Spirit of Africa is a record of traditional and contemporary African music, which was on market in 2009. It was released by Decca Records. The music was performed by the Kenyan Boys Choir and directed by Joseph Muyale Inzai.

The CD features 14 songs representing the music from around Africa. It mainly includes Homeless, Nkosi Sikelel'l Afrika, Jambo Bwana and O Holy Night, just to name a few. Every song has its solo vocal.

The CD was produced by Jon Cohen and all instrumental arrangements were made by Jon Cohen too. All vocals were recorded at Nairobi, Kenya.

The Kenyan Boys Choir:

The Kenyan Boys Choir is a male voice choir from Kenya. It was started in 1998 and now it is based in the city of Nairobi. It consists of 25 school boys, aged between 13 and 24. Joseph Muyale Inzai is the choir’s director. In 2004 they had their first album, Uvumbuzi. In 2008, the second album Amerika Jambo was published.

In January 2009 The Kenyan Boys Choir were invited to perform at US president Barack Obama’s inauguration ceremony, which brought them to the attention of the world. After the performance, in February Spirit of Africa was recorded. It is their last, but most famous one to date.

Price and availability:

I bought this CD when it first came out and paid £8.98 with free delivery, more than you would pay today. Currently it is sold on Amazon website for just £5.47. It’s also available on other retailers and the prices are similar.

My opinions:

Before I bought the CD I didn’t have any idea about the Kenyan Boys Choir. I thought the members of the choir would be boys under the age of 13. However the reality is quite the opposite; they all are over 13 and their voices are young men’s to me.

I have never been in Africa, but from the films I have watched, I have gained some ideas about traditional African music. However the CD of Spirit of Africa is recorded in the modern way that made their music a little different. It took me quite long time to get used and thoroughly enjoy it.

Every time when I listen to this CD, I feel very happy and excited enormously from start to finish. Although every individual tract is very different from each other, you can easily figure out the unique taste of African music. The voice of tenor is uplifting and the drumbeat is stunning. When I played the CD in my garden, one of my guests said their music seemed deep into his heart. We all felt it liked a live show and the boys were just standing next to us. It brought me the joy of music and the hope to Africa.

Final word:

The CD of Spirit of Africa is really a great album and is definitely worth the money. I highly recommend it to people who are interested in Africa and African music.

• Jake_Speed published 19/04/2012
    Super review.
  • dynamicnurse published 17/04/2012
    I love albums like this!
  • AnneLorraine1 published 17/04/2012