Review of "Sprite"

published 06/06/2013 | Tolteca
Member since : 04/06/2013
Thanks for the welcome and the ratings everyone.
Pro 30% less sugar than the competition but still tasty.
Cons Still sugary for those needing to avoid.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Spritely Refreshment"

In the hope of encouraging the weather's shift from the Winter Is Coming setting it has been stuck in, I decided to review a summery refreshing drink instead of a winter warmer. Let's hope it works.

Sprite is an old favourite from childhood which has recently been revamped, in both bottle label and the formula. The label is now perkier, with Rediscover added and a sparkly lemon place front and center. This does make the bottle more contemporary and lively. However, the most important thing about any label is the info on the back.

This takes us to the most important part of that information and the selling point of the re-vamp of the brand. It tells us that the bottle contains 30% less sugar than other sugary drinks in the UK. This is because they have added Stevia as a sweetener, though sugar does remain the second largest ingredient in the drink and diabetics will still need to take care.

I will confess that I drink full sugar versions of soft carbonated drinks. This is partially because I do have health concerns re Aspartame but also because I loathe the taste of it. This is not the case with this drink and Stevia. This may be because the drink does still contain the real stuff as well, but still, the taste of this drink does not have that weird and unpleasant aftertaste that I get from aspartame sweetened no-sugar drinks.

Instead, the taste is pleasant. The drink is sweet enough that the lemon and lime flavours are balanced out into a delicious whole. It is recommended that it is drink ice cold. I did and it was delicous. It was tasty and refreshing on its own and works beautifully with Pimms, where the lime aspect to the flavour works wonderfully with the fruit while not making it too cloying, which some lemonade can do.

And all for 69kcal for a 250ml, or half a small bottle serving. This is still not exactly insignificant, but is lower than other sugary drinks while being palatable instead of the blegh I get from no-sugar lemonades.

The plastic bottle is also widely recycled.

Having somehow lost the Sprite habit, this is something I will now ensure goes back into my shopping list and in my drinking options when I have to drive afterwards. I will not drink massive quantities as it does still add sugar to my diet and I am trying to lose weight, but I will definitely enjoy it in moderation, both on its own and when it is Pimms o'clock.

Summary: A revamp to an old favourite which works.

• miloh published 06/06/2013
    Welcome to ciao.
  • mozzie76 published 06/06/2013
    Welcome to ciao
  • mumsymary published 06/06/2013
    Hello and welcome to ciao