Squire Ss65S High Security Padlock

Squire Ss65S High Security Padlock

Review of "Squire Ss65S High Security Padlock"

published 08/02/2015 | wazza115
Member since : 31/03/2012
Happy Easter everyone, still catching up on my rates :)
Pro Long lasting, secure
Cons None

"Secure"

Price & Availability

I think we purchased from Amazon (however this was several years ago), you can currently buy it direct from the manufacturer, in hardwear shops such as Screwfix, Homebase or B & Q and it costs around £70 including VAT. This may seem expensive however with our house being a fairly new build, the garage door is quite close to the main road and as it is an integral garage with a connecting door into the kitchen, I wanted to protect ourselves as much as possible (my other half is a bit protective over his tools too!)

The product:

The body of the padlock is made from hardened steel which is then coating twice with zinc and then a final coating of black electophoretic (electophoretic refers to the way in which the coating is made and means it is more resistant to scratching and the elements - I had to check this as I had no idea what it meant!). The padlock measures around 6.5 cm x 3.2 cm. The shackle is an open and closed version and is quite big. It measures around 3 x 3cm which means it was ideal for my garage door and suitable for other larger locks such as gates, warehouses and shed etc. The lock mechanism itself features a six pin cylinder tumbler made from boron alloy steel.

To open the lock, all you need to do is turn the key to the right and to lock the padlock you need to push down on the shackle and insert it into the lock on the other side of the barrel. What I have found in the past with other padlocks is that they can be a little stiff to lock but even my four year old daughter was able to lock this! The key can also be removed from the padlock while it is open.

When you purchase, you are provided with two keys, I find this ideal as we have a tendency to loose things in our house! I also like it because it also means that both me and my partner can have a key each (on our house keys) so if one of us is not in, we don't spend half an hour looking for them!. The keys are also high quality and do not feel flimsy in any way like other models can. There are 250,000 versions of the lock which means it would be highly unlikely that you would get another key that would match the lock.

The padlock is CEN graded 5 and 6 which means they offer between extra high (grade 5) and maximum (grade 6) security. I used to work in home insurance and it is worthwhile mentioning this if you use this grading of lock as they take into consideration when calculating your premiums.

My Thoughts

The quality of the materials used to manufacture this padlock shows that this is a product that is certainly designed to last. It is used on the base of our garage door so it is exposed to all the elements and is still as easy to open as it was when we first purchased. It is not showing any signs of rust or corrosion and I do not feel that the product has weakened in any way.
Overall

Overall, I would recommend this product and give 5 out of 5 stars. It is an excellent padlock, well made, designed to last and touch wood, it has deterred any thieves so far which is what I wanted it to do.

Thanks for reading.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 10/12/2015
    Great!
  • rolandrat123 published 12/02/2015
    useful
  • marymoose99 published 10/02/2015
    VH

offers "Squire Ss65S High Security Padlock"