St Ivel Utterly Butterly

St Ivel Utterly Butterly

Margarine

Review of "St Ivel Utterly Butterly"

published 12/04/2003 | babajane32
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Descent flavour
Cons Falls off the knife
Smell
Product Quality

"A bargain at half the price."

I spied StIvel's Utterly Butterly the other day in my local Morrison's store,normally I might have wandered straight past it,but it was on offer at the bargain price of 66pence for a 500g tub.Always looking for my bargains I thought I'd risk it and try a tub.
I normal refer to buy real butter,or olivio,and soya spread for my son.The Olivio is better for me,the butter hard to spread from the fridge and the soya is not for me anyway,so all things considered I thought it worth a try.

Packaging.
An oval tub presents itself in a lurid yellow colour,with blue whirly writing declaring the product name.In smaller green writting the words Origonal,made with buttermilk is viasable from the top and sides.The lid lifts off to reveal a gold foil sheet covering the top of the butterly.
The tub itself whilst not of flexible or thick plastic,is fairly substantial ans doesn't split or crack.The tub's worth saving afterwards for storage purposes.
Quite alot of information is displayed on the ends and underside of the container,including the declaration that this product contains less than 1/4 of the saturated fat of butter.,and that it is high in monounsaturates and low in saturates.
Most other standard information you would expect to find is also listed,such as the nutritional vaues,ingredients,consumer contact information,freezing instructions and also the uses for the product.

The spread itself.
As you might expect the colour of the spread is a cross between a rich butter and margerine.The mid yellow spread has a glossy appearance and i mid consistancy.
I tried the spread on bread,croissants,in cakes and for frying onions,the flavour again is between butter and margerine,and although not a patch on a rich salted butter,was quite pleasing and palletable.
Frying with it produced mixed results,with it performing quite well,but like butter apt to burning if the heat is not monitored exactly.
Baking was no problem with the outcome leaving me unable to tell the difference between this and most other products.
Spreading on bread was where it was most noticably different.The tase as I said was somewhere between the flavours,but actually using it was difficult.It would not for love nor money stick to the knife.It made it difficult to spread as as soon as your knife approached the bread the stuff fell off the knife.Once it was on the bread though teh spreading consistancy was good even straight from the fridge.

Cost.
At 66 pence on offer this was pretty good value and I have bought a few spare tubs for further use.However when the spread returns to it's normal fullprice of around £1.25 for a 500g tub ,I doubt I'll be buying it regularly.If I am to pay that price I'll stick to Olivio and butter.

Information.
The declared uses are as follows-
Spreading

TF6 6HY,
U.K.

URL- www.utterly-butterly.co.uk

Verdict.
On offer this is a neat little spread with a fair few virtues.Full priced it is a little lacking.It has annoying lack of adhesion to knives,but a great spreading texture.I would reccomend it reservedly,but if available on offer a definate buy.

*** Thankyou for reading ***

• J4M1721 published 08/04/2004
    I like Flora. I used to have St.Ivel Gold, but Flora is much healthier! x x x Jo x x x
  • paww published 15/04/2003
    I totally hate this stuff. Tastes like margerine to me. Have you tried Clover? Tastes more buttery if you can't have the real thing. Penny xx
  • Marandina published 13/04/2003
    We tend to buy Tesco own brand Olive spread. It's supposed to be good for ya....