Star Trek Monthly

Star Trek Monthly

Review of "Star Trek Monthly"

published 04/02/2002 | SparkyDeighton
Member since : 08/08/2001
Pro Packed with features and info for the avid fan
Cons May be too heavy for the casual fan
Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Price
Quantity of advertising

"Set Phasers to stunning.."

It’s a magazine, but not as we know it…

I have three serious passions in life that are going to sound extremely sad, (even to me) when written down. They are, in no particular order: Only Fools and Horses, James Bond and Star Trek.

So, when laid up in hospital the other week, I was overjoyed when a colleague came by to see me bearing a copy of Star Trek Monthly.

I have seen the magazine in newsagents but must admit that I am too tight to spend three pounds fifty on an unknown quantity. I have previously satiated my thirst for all things Trekie in the form of Video, T.V., Film, and the net.

I have been seriously missing out!

This magazine is a must for serious Star Trek fans. It has 68 pages, 16 of which are advertisements for other magazines in this genre; the next issue of S.T.M. and merchandising connected with all five of the Star Trek series. This I would estimate is on a par with other fanzines, if not slightly lower.

The Contents.
10 pages of news about the cast of shows past and present, conventions, episode updates and just about anything that the reporters can find connected to Star Trek. This month’s issue includes an article about some cast members facing their worst adversary to date. Colder than the Borg Queen, fiercer than a Klingon with a hangover and less cuddly than a Tribble, they face Anne Robinson in a special U.S. edition of Star Trek The Weakest Link. Hope they show it here.

There is a 7-page section of Fact Versus Fiction where real life achievements are paralleled in the fictitious world of Star Trek; creating for sad sods like myself an actual time line following on from our present to our possible future. (I warned you that it got sad).

The remainder consists of interviews with cast members of past and present shows with the main focus being the brand new show Enterprise, (look out for a review when I get the video from my buddy who has Sky). It stars Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame as Captain Jonathan Archer in a prequel to the Captain Kirk days of the space bound exploration.

For the unfortunates like myself who do not have Sky or Cable the future episodes section can spoil it for fans; but I cannot wait until my buddy fills a blank tape.

As I said earlier this is a hard-core fanzine and may not be appreciated by the casual fan; especially with that hefty price tag, but for the true Trekie…give it a try. You won’t be disappointed!

This review was read 2047 times and was rated at

• Timbo3107 published 22/01/2007
    I am the first person in three years to comment on this review. Regards, Tim
  • yahtonie published 26/11/2003
    They do a magazine!?!?! Where?! Show me! You may think that its sad, and yes, it is, but your not alone in your little ST interest! Great op.
  • STUkrugen published 22/04/2002
    Talking of magazines bought for you in Hospital, when are you going to review the copy of Razzle I bought you ? Oops...did I just say that outloud ?

Product Information : Star Trek Monthly