Star Wars Clone Wars - Basic Lightsaber

Star Wars Clone Wars - Basic Lightsaber

Recreate your own Star Wars Clone Warsbattle with this Basic Lightsaber.

Review of "Star Wars Clone Wars - Basic Lightsaber"

published 30/12/2011 | Kicky222000
Member since : 02/10/2002
Hi, I've just started writing reviews here and I'm trying hard so I hope they come up to standard. I also publish reviews on dooyoo under the name NickyBo.
Pro fun, very durable, allows role-play, doesn't need batteries
Cons limited appeal for children not obsessed with Star Wars

"Much stronger than expected - basic lightsabre"

My son has developed quite a Star Wars obsession over the last year, all thanks to his Dad. Last Christmas we bought him lots of different Star Wars figures, vehicles, dressing up outfits and one of these lightsabres. He also received a lightsabre from his grandparents. They were worried he wouldn’t want it after they found out we had also got him one, but he was delighted he had 2 as we can now ‘fight’ properly!

We bought our lightsabre from Argos, paying around £8, but have seen them in other shops like Asda, Tesco and also online. The lightsabre is about 30cm long when not extended. When extended it is around 90cm long. On the base of the sabre is a little red switch that needs to be pushed down in order to flick the coloured part out. This is pretty easy to do. The handle also has a little clip so you can attach it to your belt or trousers.

The lightsabre comes in either blue, green or red. I am reliably informed that the red ones are for the 'baddies' who are the Sith Lords such as Darth Vader and Darth Maul. The Jedis have the blue and green sabres. If you're buying for a child with a particular favourite character it is worth checking which colour lightsabre they should have, to avoid disappointment. As it is, my little Jedi now has one of each!

This is the basic sabre so you don’t get any lights or sound effects with this one but it also means it is one of the few toys that doesn't need batteries. The lack of sound and lights has not bothered my son at all, in fact I think he prefers it as he gets to make his own sound effects. There are more expensive lightsabres available and they do light up and make noises. We also have one of those but it is these basic ones that have proven to be my son's favourite.

The light sabre is made of plastic and feels sturdy. I was dubious that it would last very long, especially with all the duals my son and husband have. However, over a year later and all our light sabres are as good as new. They really have taken a lot of abuse and daily bashings into chairs, table legs etc, but they haven't even cracked. Knowing how roughly they have been treated, I must say I am very impressed with how well they are lasting.

My son (and husband) have had daily use out of these lightsabres. I was wary about buying my 3 year old what seems to be a weapon, but it has allowed him to engage in some lovely role-play. He loves to act out scenes from Star Wars and also create his own new stories. Of course, the main fun is still to battle with his Daddy, but even that has become quite skillful and they even choreograph some moves together like a real battle sequence. I have been surprised at how much play he gets out of these sabres, which are essentially colourful sticks!

• catsholiday published 02/03/2012
    My grandsons have entire sets of these !!!
  • Elysia2003 published 30/12/2011