Starlite Hotel, Miami Beach

Starlite Hotel, Miami Beach

Review of "Starlite Hotel, Miami Beach"

published 03/09/2011 | tipsyrabbit
Member since : 17/03/2010
Pro Every day like a mardi gras!
Cons Not a moment of peace, unless you pass out on the beach after your night out!
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"NO WONDER EVERYONE SINGS ABOUT IT"

Background

I’m a creature of comfort; having already stayed at Bellagio, Las Vegas and Roosevelt, Hollywood. Miami on a budget then and I was worried that this could end up being a shock to the system. Fontainebleau would have been the ideal resort, having heard it was a regular for the celebrities, but after much research the Starlite Hotel was settled on at a much cheaper price.

Located right on the iconic Ocean Drive, this is a hotel that often comes up in the images of Miami. In fact, if you put Ocean Drive into Google images the first photo to show up will be that of palm trees and art deco buildings lit up in neon green, blue, red and pink lights. Well having looked at all of these hotels, Starlite (pink lights) definitely came up best.

On my trip to LA I found the American culture a lot more restrained than say holidays I have taken in European holiday resorts overtaken with us English. Vegas had a good balance of tourism and partying, and I expected Miami would be similar. Miami, or at least Ocean Drive in particular, was without a doubt the Magaluf for the Yanks.

I was expecting this somewhat, and as long as there were no neighbours that partied harder than us I knew this wouldn’t be a problem. Staying in Starlite Hotel with your family, or anywhere on Ocean Drive for that matter? Not recommended.

Hotel

Miami International Airport is without a doubt one of the worst airports I have ever arrived in. But this isn’t a review about that, although at this point in time the airport had probably put me in a bit of a negative frame of mind (if you can be negative in Miami). Jumping in a taxi at MIA, I was a little surprised the cab driver didn’t know where the hotel was already and it fell to us to provide him with an address.

Having read online reviews, explaining there was a restaurant out the front and an annoying man at the door, I was expecting a somewhat manic check in. Ocean Drive is mad busy with people, cars and police. We had to make a swift exit from the taxi and manoeuvre are way through a few people and up a small step to get into the hotel, but this wasn’t really a problem. The whole ‘lobby’ (if you can call it that) is mirrored, with a small bar when you first walk in and then the reception desk. Check in was easy and friendly, although we did have to put down a $100 deposit.

I have read reviews complaining about the elevator – this worked fine, and got us to the fourth (top) floor safely. The room entry key was a swipe card to my relief, as I know some smaller hotels in the UK still don’t use this, meaning we could get a card each to easily slip into our wallets rather than one key that one of us would without a doubt – lose. The room was much larger and spacious than I had expected; two double beds, table, chairs, wardrobe, drawers, bedside tables, fridge and cooking facilities. The flat screen television attached to the wall got a lot of the American channels, and there was also a phone.

Most importantly it was clean. I honestly can’t speak highly enough of the furnishing and decorating. A couple mirrors, bath, shower and the air conditioning was free! Luckily our room was on the right side of the hotel so out of window you could see Wet Willies (the bar next to us) and the beach. There are front facing rooms that look right out on to the beach. I feel sorry for anyone that has a room on a lower floor or on the left hand side, because I imagine these must look out on to a brick wall.

Experience

Food and drink in the hotel was some of the best I had in Miami, and at good prices (don’t know what a review I read about a meal and two drinks being $300 was on about). The guy working the door is always happy to do you a good deal for your business and giving you stronger than usual drinks. There weren’t any other guests that caused a problem, although it is filled with young people. Don’t know what people mean about thin walls as didn’t hear a peep out of anyone! I imagine if there is guests causing problems the hotel staff don’t seem to the sort to warn them. It is very much just an all day party in Miami with a lot of good feelings.

Cleaners weren’t the friendly sort I’d came to experience in the USA, perhaps it had something to do with the state we left our room in daily. Fortunately they always obliged in cleaning up – and the most important thing, nothing went missing! There are two staircases; we regularly used the front one that brings you down straight by the reception. The back staircase we used once and the fire exit at the back was open, although walking out straight on to an alleyway stunk.

There is no swimming pool at the Starlite Hotel, but with the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been on in my life just across the road who’s complaining. You literally have bars and restaurants all the way up and down Ocean Drive, trying to get you inside. This gives you a wide choice of where to eat and drink daily. We barely left the Miami Beach / South Beach (SoBe to those in the know) area for the whole week, which obviously left a lot of Miami unexplored! JLS filmed their ‘She Makes Me Wanna’ video with Dev shortly after we left on the beach almost opposite Starlite Hotel.

Overall

Not a care in the world when you’re in Miami, and it’s upsetting to leave. Things are quite spread out but when you know where you’re going it’s a pleasure to walk it in the glorious sunshine. It wasn’t such a pleasure to walk it that one day where there was a huge thunder storm, but that soon cleared up and made for one of the most beautiful afternoons of the whole week. If you don’t want to walk though, there are plenty of cabs driving around. Gratuity is the word of the day in America though, and wherever you go be expected to tip.

What more can I say about the cheap and very cheerful Starlite Hotel? Well the staff may run away from you mid sentence if a bird flies into the lobby, but they’re too relaxed to help unless there’s an emergency. Even then I wonder. I would totally recommend this place to anyone just looking for good weather and a good time.

• Alyson29 published 04/09/2011
    This was an excellent and enjoyable read and most certainly does not warrant a somewhat helpful rating x
  • CPTDANIELS published 04/09/2011
    Super review. Not sure how this could be classed as somewhat helpful either.