Starprint Show Diary

Starprint Show Diary

Review of "Starprint Show Diary"

published 15/09/2011 | rolletrog
Member since : 18/01/2006
Here's to a happy and healthy 2013! PS: People that leave the same comment on every single review get right on my wick!
Pro Designed for show dogs, ring bound, plenty of room for writing
Cons price and availability

"The Dog's Diary"

Puddle demonstrating excellent time management

Puddle demonstrating excellent time management

~~*~~*~~ Starprint Show Diary ~~*~~*~~

~~*~~ What date is that again? ~~*~~

My memory is pants – it may be senility setting in, or it may be my genetics seeing as how my father can never remember one of his offspring’s birthdays. Either way, I am rubbish so my diary is my memory. Everything is written in it from the dogs I have to walk each day to banking transactions (lord knows how I run a business but somehow I struggle through without angering the taxman (and if he asks, he’ll find all the details he needs in my precious diary)).

~~*~~ Free Window ~~*~~

This is an A5 size diary with Monday to Friday on the left hand page and the weekend on the right hand side – it’s easy to glance at the week and despair at how busy I am. At the top of the page on both sides is the month and year (just in case you’ve been in a coma) and each section is dated and dayed (definitely not a word I just invented). The whole thing is ring bound with 15 thick plastic bits and I’ve only managed to unbend the top one which, in 11 months of use, is pretty impressive. The paper is pretty thick and has mostly remained unripped at the holes, which is where a lot of diaries come undone. The cover pages are made of thick glossy card which seems really sturdy.There is loads of room on each day to write what you're supposed to be doing, and enough room on the weekends to put down all the classes and numbers that you're dog has been entered into which is particularly handy when I've entered 7 dogs (not all mine!) for an agility show and we need to know the details.
~~*~~ Dog Days ~~*~~

I have two show dogs and life is busy. Pretty much every weekend we have a show of some variety which is where this diary becomes invaluable. Firstly, it is breed specific – that is to say that the first page is purely information for Irish Water Spaniels and gives the Championship Show information – judges, dates and whether CCs are available. Then there are the ‘pink pages’ – these have the alphabetical list of all the canine societies and then the show dates in date order – might not sound much but that’s 120 pages of addresses! These are great if you’re not sure whether you’ve missed a certain show’s date or if you have a window free, you can skim through the date section and see if there’s a show near you.

Within the actual diary, they have placed the Championship Show Dates on the actual days should you forget to write them in yourself and have listed which groups are on which days which I love as I have friends in the toy and utility groups and sometimes we’re on the same day at shows so it’s nice to see at a glance which day we can meet up (Champ shows run for 3 or 4 days and the groups are split up and combined differently for each show – gundog, utility, toy, working, pastoral, terrier and hound). If you’re unsure of which group a certain breed belongs to, then there is a list at the back – ruddy handy when you’re trying to wish ‘friends’ on facebook good luck for shows.

At the bottom of the right hand page, there is a 3 lined section for Entries Closing where you write the show and date of closure for entries thus never missing a date (sometimes I still miss the closing date because I’m a muppet but normal people should be ok). Another section I love is found at the back of the diary where there is a ‘Show Record’ – you simply fill in your pup’s winnings which gives you a reference for a particular judge that likes your dog or in the case of Pig, isn’t repulsed by your dog.

There are extras in this diary for which most people will have no use:
The Seasons Chart: has space for bitches name and the date season starts and ends.
Stud Service Record: we’ve no need for this but it could be handy should I ever be mad enough to own a dog rather than a bitch.
Table Showing When a Bitch is Due to Whelp: pretty self-explanatory.
Litter Details: I think this would be relevant for busy dog breeders but not for little ‘ol me.
Record of Puppies Sold: as above
Own Dogs Details: I feel this could be better as it could have included sections for all the details one needs to feel in a show entry such as the dog’s sire, dam, and breeder details. Instead it is just name, date of birth, last vaccination and worming.
Record of Judging Engagements: not important to me as there’s no way I’m going to be judged for judging
Club Memberships: unfortunately I didn’t do this from the beginning and I wish I had! – most of the time when you enter a show, you’re asked to pay a membership which is usually annual though I never remember if I entered the last show only 6 months ago and/or paid the membership then.
Addresses and Telephone Numbers: erm, fairly straightforward.
Notes: There are 8 pages to make notes on and I’ve filled them all already. The diary could have done with just a couple more pages.
Personal Pages: As with all diaries there is a section for you to write things like your address, tv renewal date, bus station number – needless to say I’ve not bothered with this as I know where I live…
~~*~~ I want a Labrador Diary ~~*~~

Well who wouldn’t want one with a Labrador on the front? People without Labradors.
Anyway, if you’d like one you can purchase it direct from www.starprintphotographics.co.uk or from their ebay shop. If you’ve not got the tinterweb, then they’re located in Dorset or give em a bell on 01202 241026. When you visit the website there are a lot of diaries to chose from but in doing my research for this review (and because I thought I’d get next year’s diary as the show dates for 2012 are already coming in) I’ve found that the Irish Water Spaniel version is not available – I hope this is temporary but if you too have a random rare breed canine friend, check properly that you’re ordering the correct year and breed.

You’ll be looking at around the £15 mark for one of these beauties and though this isn’t a cheap diary, it has lasted very well and is invaluable for the show dog owner.

Thanks for reading.
Review will most definitely appear elsewhere.

Caroline, Pig & Puddle
September 2011

• tallulahbang published 25/01/2012
    How do you manage not to giggle at Puddle's 'do constantly? xx
  • carcraig published 19/01/2012