Stella Artois Cidre

Stella Artois Cidre

Review of "Stella Artois Cidre"

published 14/01/2012 | star3683
Member since : 14/11/2010
Pro refreshing, crisp cider
Cons can be a little expensive at full price
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range

"Stella Cidre!!"

One drink that I have always loved is Cider and recently it has become rather trendy with the addition of different flavour combinations and new companies making it. So a few months ago on a trip to my local Tesco store I was quite surprised to see that Stella Artois had launched their own cider or Cidre!

Stella Artois is known for its lager and this is the first time that they had produced a cider. At first I was a little reluctant to try it as I didn't expect a lager manufacturer to be able to produce a nice cider. But when it was on offer at an introductory price of £1.59 for a 568ml bottle I thought it would be rude not to give it a try.

The cider comes in a heavy clear glass bottle with gold stick on paper labels on the front and the back. The one on the front has the large 'Stella Artois' logo on it and the name 'CIDRE' in bold black capital letters underneath. It states that it is a 'Belgian cider made with hand-picked apples'. Whilst the label on the back again has another Stella logo and a little more information on about the cidre. The lid of the bottle is a normal leaver of cap that you will need a bottle opener to take off (unless you have very strong teeth). The cap is covered in a gold foil seal which comes down the neck of the bottle and has a picture of two apples on. One thing that was good to see is that the bottle is made from 60% recycled glass and obviously you can also recycle it again which I always do with glass. You can also purchase the cider in cans but I always find the taste to be much better out of bottles.

The cider is about an average strength at acl 4.5%, I was glad to see that they had not made it too strong as I think is better this way and is not too overpowering.

It states on the bottle that the cider is best served cold over ice. To be honest I do think cider is best served ice cold as it makes a lovely refreshing drink and seems to bring out the crisp flavour of the apples, but I do not like to drink my cider over ice as I find the ice waters down the taste of the cider as it melts and also diminishes the fizz. So I drink this cider the same as any other just very cold in a chilled glass, but obviously this is just personal opinion.

When I opened the cider and poured it into the glass it had a lovely deep golden colour and had a nice even amount of fine bubbles. The cider has a nice gentle fizz but is not too gassy. The flavour is very pleasant and has a lovely crisp, clean, smooth taste. It is also not too sweet although I do find it has a hint of honey to the flavour but again this is quite subtle. Overall I have been very impressed with this cider from Stella Artois and have purchased it many times since. I think it is a little expensive at full price but you can generally always find it on offer somewhere as it seems to be very widely available now. It is certainly a very easy to drink refreshing cider that I think most cider drinkers would be surprised by!

• laurahartleyy published 15/01/2012
    yum
  • mozzie76 published 14/01/2012
    I would really like to try this drink.

Product Information : Stella Artois Cidre