Review of "Studio London Finishing Touches #2 Lip & Nail Duo"

published 02/01/2015 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Good luck in your future projects all. Hope you all got to £5, GB quick if not and I will try and rate this eve
Pro Includes great quality sparkle nail polish, low price but nicely packaged, vegan
Cons Lip gloss is sticky and shortlived, and more dark pink than "flame red"
Absorbency
Price
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"A nice surprise from Studio London"

Studio London Finishing Touches #2 Lip & Nail Duo- the nail part, with one coat only applied.

I was looking for a black polish to use with a gold glitter topcoat for a Christmas party. But I came across a gift set in Superdrug in a pre Christmas sale that came with a polish that was black with gold glitter mixed in already. As it was reduced from £4 to £2 and came with a lipgloss as well, I thought I may as well buy that as it was cheaper than buying just the polish. The set I bought is called the Studio London Finishing Touches set #2 and it contains a 7.4ml lipgloss in Flame Red, and a 5ml polish in Night Sky.

THE SET

Although this set is labelled with the Studio London branding, I am sure it is in fact one of those "disguised own brands", as the packet bears the name of AS Watson who are Superdrug's parent company. I like Superdrug own brand items so it doesn't matter to me one way or another. The package looks quite nice and not basic anyway. There's a little black ribbon looped across the top and a clear front so you can see the products inside. It would count as stocking filler sized, being about 16 cm tall and 10cm wide. Not too awkward a shape to wrap either. A big plus for me is the fact the rear of the package carries the leaping bunny logo of Cruelty Free international meaning the products are not tested on animals. It also states the products are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

THE POLISH

The black and gold polish has really impressed me. I thought it would be ok to wear for a couple nights but given the low price I didn't think the polish would be the best quality. But the pigment is really good. The gold particles are suspended in a base that is a proper inky black. The picture I have attached shows the finish with just one coat so you can see the good depth of colour. I have a lot of nail colours that are supposed to give a solid colour with glitter mixed in but in reality need layering a lot more than average to give the opaque finish they promise. So I was really pleased with the Studio London polish.

There are plenty of gold glitter pieces too - providing you remember to shake the bottle well, they are well distributed on the nail. Some are fine small specks of gold shimmer, others are larger sequin like pieces but there are no really big "bits". They catch the light beautifully and the black base really sets them off. I think the colour combination is a bit more versatile than some glittery polish, and maybe a bit more sophisticated because of the black base - well, as sophisticated as sparkle polish can be anyway! The black base isn't very glossy by the way which I think actually works better as a base for the glitter, but I used a high shine top coat last time I wore it, so I know you can add a bit more gloss that way if you want. I used the top to give a smoother finish to my nails because without one, I can feel the larger glitter pieces if I touch my nail. They don't come off but I just prefer a smooth touch.

The polish lasted three days each time I wore it, without any signs of chipping or flaking. I think I would be able to get it to last longer if my other job didn't involve gardening - polish would have to be bulletproof to survive that! It comes off quite easily too, when I do want it to. Most of the colour and sparkles comes off in the first attempt, but there is usually a few of the larger glitter bits that need a bit more work. But I don't have to actually scrub away at it. And the dark colour doesn't stain my nails.

THE GLOSS

The lip gloss is more average. I don't "flame red" is that accurate a name. It's more of a raspberry pink which probably suits me more anyway. The sponge tipped application wand is long length which makes it handy for reaching into the bottom half of the tube. The gloss goes on quite thick and I personally need to even it out quite a bit to get a nice finish. It is really shiny, and the colour is strong but it isn't something I have wanted to use that often as it is sticky. The sort of gloss your hair will stick to in fact. It will also leave smudges of colour all over cups and glasses and can easily look messy afterwards. So it doesn't last long, even by the standards of gloss. I like the colour, and the unobtrusive slightly cherry like scent, but if this was available to buy seperately, I would give it a miss as it is just too sticky.

WORTH BUYING?

At the non sale price of £4 for two full sized items, this seems good value, but the sale price makes the set a bargain. It's the sort of set I'd have liked to receive as a teenager because the packaging looks grown up and the colours are nice and versatile. For me, the nail polish is better than I expected to get from an inexpensive giftset while the gloss is average but perfectly usable - I've had worse ones from L'Oreal after all! I would recommend it as a nice small gift or treat to yourself. It may be reduced in price again now it is post Christmas, although my local Superdrug keeps a small selection of Studio gift sets in all year round and there is nothing festive about the packaging design.

• euphie published 09/01/2015