Stuttgart (Germany)

Stuttgart (Germany)

Review of "Stuttgart (Germany)"

published 03/04/2008 | charlsayslol
Member since : 01/03/2006
I want to post and rate more reviews than I am but am very busy!
Pro Great city
Cons It's far from here lol
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Stuttgart"

I recently spent 8 days in Stuttgart as part of an exchange, and really loved the city and all it had to offer. Most of what I loved about it was the other towns and places that they had in the area, which I will talk about in more detail below.

*Stuttgart town centre*

To be honest, I didn't spend a great deal of time in Stuttgart itself, although I did spend a long time in one of the many Starbucks they had. The main shopping street, Koenigstrasse, had many German shops as well as internationally known ones such as H&M, along with a handful of restaurants. I went to the art museum one day, which was right in the middle of town and easy to get to, and really enjoyed it.

*Transport*

One thing that really impressed me about Stuttgart was the public transport and how clean and reliable it was. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, and I thought that our Metro was good, but in Stuttgart their S-Bahn and U-bahn are much cheaper, run very often and go all over the surrounding area. The family I was staying with lived in a town called Marbach several miles out of Stuttgart, but it was easy to get to town everyday on the S-bahn. There was only one problem while I was there, where some trains were cancelled because of an accident, but the system was good enough that we could easily get home by changing somewhere else along the way and getting a short bus ride. We also got a S-bahn and bus to the Ritter Sport chocolate factory several miles out of town, which was simple to do and al buses arrived quickly and efficiently.

*Ludwigsburg*

Ludwigsburg, on a couple of lines on the S-bahn, is a pretty town, but mainly famous for its palace. The palace in Ludwigsburg has a beautiful garden and grounds, as is especially nice in the summer, when the flowers are in bloom. The town of Ludwigsburg also has many nice shops and restaurants, and I had a really good day out there.

*Marbach*

This is the town where my exchange family lived, and I absolutely loved it. It is a really old traditional German town, with old style buildings and lots of restaurants and cafes serving local food. There is also a bar called 'Wunderbar', which I loved on sight because of the name, but which also has a great atmosphere and really great cocktails. Marbach is also the birthplace of the writer Schiller, who was as famous as Goethe apparently, and because of this there is a Schiller museum and lots of information available about him.

*Ritter Sport*

Stuttgart is also the only place in the world which makes Ritter Sport chocolate, which is absolutely amazing and available in over 20 different flavours. The factory and its museum/centre is accessible by a frequent bus service from a nearby S-Bahn. People aged 18 and under can make their own chocolate here (well, pour liquid chocolate into moulds and add things) which was quite fun, as well as buy chocolate for insanely cheap in the shop. I saw lots of people there buying trolley fulls of it for about 20 euros or so.

*Conclusion*

I really enjoyed my stay in and around Stuttgart, and would recommend it if you fancy a short city break, though I have no idea what any of the hotels are like.

*Conclusion*

I really enjoyed my stay in Marbach and the surrounding area

• fritzthecat published 09/03/2013
    I totally agree with what you've written about the public transport but would have really liked to read more about the city.
  • MALU published 30/11/2012
    What an odd review! The city of Stuttgart certainly deserves more than three lines. If you didn't see anything there why write a review at all?
  • JVL published 21/05/2008
    Nice review - totally agree about Marbach too, have been there a few times now and it is a lovely place...

Product Information : Stuttgart (Germany)

Listed on Ciao since: 27/07/2000