wigglylit... 3

wigglylittleworm

Member since:28.08.2008

"Mum, Why Does The Cat Taste Fishy?"

20.07.2009

Advantages:
The cats coat looks fantastic, his dandruff cleared

Disadvantages:
He stinks !

35 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. carcraig
  2. paulpry118
  3. fizzytom

I read a review on Super Solvitax cod liver oil by the wonderful fourpaws and it sounded perfect to give to my little moggy Shadow. He has been suffering from dandruff which is common and harmless in cats and which is caused by him sitting for hours on the windowsill in sunlight so I was hoping it would help with his dry skin.

Super solvitax is a supplement for many kinds of animals to help them maintain a healthy coat and skin and help their joints. Many may be skeptical about the benefits of taking oils to supplement their diet but I have experienced brilliant effects myself by taking evening primrose oil so it seems logical that animals would benefit too. My grandma swore by cod liver oil and she was the healthiest old lady I have ever seen until she got dementia in her 90's, she never had any of the general aches and pains you would associate with old age so it obviously worked for her too.

I bought an 170ml bottle for around £3.50 from my local pet shop, larger bottles are also available which will work out cheaper per ml but since the dose for a cat is only 5ml a day I would rather buy a smaller bottle so it is fresher.

Shadow is not a fan of fishy things in general so I wondered how he would react to taking this oil. I poured out a spoonful and showed it to him and he happily lapped it up. Of course he didn't do this the second day so I resorted to plan B which was mixing it in with his wet food which he simply refused to eat. Plan C involved coating his favourite crunchies with some super solvitax which he ignored, I even poured some fresh crunchies on top and he managed to pick every single one of them off! Plan D involved buying a medicine syringe from the chemist and squirting it into his mouth, this is working fairly well as he is such a little wimp that he doesn't try and claw me or anything. He seems to accept it now as part of his evening feeding routine but he still doesn't look too happy when he sees the syringe.

The oil itself is a thick yellow colour and smells very fishy. This is what led to the question "mum....why does the cat taste fishy?" from my daughter. At first I thought she was just silly, after all you are not meant to eat cats. When I questioned her a bit closer though she explained that she had been giving him a big sloppy kiss (which he hates!) and the taste of fish entered her mouth. She then pushed the cat into my face and insisted I did the same, I refused but smelling him was enough as he definitely smelled like fish. This was on the first few tries when I gave him the oil, any cat owner will know that eating (even 5ml of oil) results in a full grooming session and he had obviously licked some over his fur. I've minimised this effect by giving it to him before food but after giving it to him for around a month he still has a faint whiff of cod liver oil which is not very nice. Whether this is from the fact that he manages to squirt some out of his mouth without swallowing or he licks it over himself I'm not too sure.

Apart from making my cat smell fishy I'm happy to report that his coat which has always looked good has taken on an extra sheen and now looks fantastic. His dandruff has cleared up too which is good news so the oil is obviously doing him some good.

I'm glad that the super solvitax is working but I don't think I'm going to buy a second bottle because the cat doesn't like it and I dont like him stinking of fish. I noticed there were other brands of oils for animals in the pet shops, not all of them fish based so when my bottle of solvitax runs out I will read up on some of those and decide which one is most similar in vitamin content and buy that instead. Obviously my review is based on use on one fussy animal only, I can tell that it is a quality product so it is worth trying if you think your animal will benefit.

carcraig 09.08.2009 23:44

My mum-in-law used to give her dogs a cod liver oil capsule cunning concealed in a spoonful of cream cheese. They thought it was a treat!

paulpry118 28.07.2009 17:28

I chuck a one a day tablet in my dogs dinner or if you throw her one she would eat it as a treat

Vaula 21.07.2009 17:59