Superdrug Colour Effects Wash In Wash Out

Superdrug Colour Effects Wash In Wash Out

Hair Colour

Review of "Superdrug Colour Effects Wash In Wash Out"

published 12/10/2004 | MissTopaz
Member since : 10/05/2004
Back after a short 9 year break...
Good
Pro 99p!
Cons Doesn't make much of a difference straight away.

"I'm blonde, what's your excuse? UPDATED!!"

It was during the summer that I wanted to experiment with the colour of my hair, and so off I trekked to my local Superdrug to plunge into the never ending depths of the hair colour isle. What should I choose? Vibrant copper? Electric blue? Bubble gum pink? Then there was the dilemma of wash in wash out? Permanent? Semi-permanent? Up to 5 washes? Up to 10 washes? Or get the box that says temporary but take so many bottles of shampoo to lighten it may as well be permanent?

Because I didn’t want to do anything do drastic, I knew I wanted something temporary, that that was already on par with my blonde hair. Plus I didn’t want to spend obscene amounts of money and faff around with bleaches and colour application.

So, I eventually settled for Superdrug’s very own Colour Effects, wash in wash out, and at the wonderful-cannot-be-beaten-price of 99p! (but you know the saying you get what you pay for…?)

There were 3 different colours of this brand on the shelf, with a little picture of hair on the front with the colour name on the top of the bottle. I chose Cool Blonde and the picture on the front is obviously a mere guide to the resulting colour, because all the pictures are the same and you can tell that they’ve just been altered on a computer for each colour available. This was the first slip up in my opinion, because the brand should try and show as accurately as possible what effects the dye you’re buying will have on your hair.
There were other brands such as dark blonde, copper, brown.

UPDATE*************************************
On the quest for a change, I went and bought the honey blonde version of the dye. This was still the 99p which was fine by me, and the picture on the front looked like a rich, slightly deep blonde, and was called honey blonde. But the picture didn't look very honey like!
When opening the bottle, it has the same smell as before, but this time the lotion is a rich yellow, which was reassuring, because I was hoping to get a more noticable, darker colour.
When applying, I ignored the instructions and left the stuff on for half an hour, which I would advise, because if you leave the dye on for less time, you have to get through more of it more quickly, trying to top the colour up.
Upon rinsing out and drying my hair, I did notice a change, and my hair definately has a sun kissed look and has a rich-gold hue. Am definately going to top up the colour for more of a difference!
*********************************************

The back of the bottle says that “Cool Blonde adds gentle blonde ash tones to blonde hair”. So then I realised that this wasn’t strictly a temporary hair dye, just more something to accentuate natural blonde hair.

The bottle itself is approx 5 inches tall with a screw top lid, and contains 75mls of hair dye. The bottle is all grey, with labels on the front and back in brown. On the front it says you can get up to 3 applications, but you can get 4, 5, or even 6 applications depending on how much hair you have and how much you use. The back has very clear and easy to follow instructions plus care and safety advice. On the back there’s also the barcode, ingredients and the Superdrug address, which if you want to know is:
Superdrug Stores PLC, Admail 838, Croydon, UK, CR9 4WZ.

The first thing you notice when un-screwing the lid it that the dye is very very purple, as in, deep purple! This did get me very worried! But not to worry, it goes very pale and lathery when you use it. Once you get over the look of the potion, the next thing you notice is the smell. It’s like a strongly perfumed shampoo. It’s bearable, but it can be a bit strong at times.

This stuff is as easy as pie to use. Simply wash your hair as normal, then put as much of the dye in your hair as you want, lather it all in, then leave for 5 to 20 minutes. What I found easier was to stick my lathered-up hair up on my head with a big clip and keep a towel around my shoulders. The reason for this is that if you have wet hair for 20 minutes, it’s going to drip and run down your face and neck. And with the dye in, you get purple drips! So if you’re going to use this stuff, make sure you use an old towel! I recommend keeping the dye in for at least 20 minutes, because when I left it in for 10, there was bugger all of a difference! Then all you need to do is rinse the dye out until the water runs clear, so when you start rinsing, you’ll have pweddy purple water! But don’t worry, the dye doesn’t leave any marks when you rinse off. I suggest rinsing off with cold water, because then that gives you extra shine.

And the results? If you saw someone who had just used the dye, you wouldn’t really be aware of it unless they told you. So this is where I recommend building up the uses of the dye. The back of the bottle says dye can be washed out with normal shampoo, or built up with repeated use. After repeated use, the best way to describe the effects is that your blonde locks will catch the light a lot more, and appear more golden in the light. However, the colour intensity will differ depending on the original colour of your hair and its condition. And if your is grey (no offence, I’m reading the bottle instructions!) or bleached, then don’t use it.

What is very good about this dye is that it doesn’t leave my hair feeling greasy or grimy, like I thought it would.

I wouldn’t use this shade again, as there wasn’t much of a noticeable difference, but I would maybe want to use a different shade of the colour effects. If I do, I will do an update here!

Overall:
Easy to use? 9/10- it loses a mark because of the not very nice purple drips.
Final result? 6/10- this is obvious because the results aren’t very noticeable and it takes repeated use for someone else to notice!

Thanks for reading :)

• kimbahop published 30/12/2006
    I just dont believe in wash in wash out dye!
  • BadCompany77 published 13/12/2006
    Love my blonde Topaz xx
  • e.j.kingham published 21/09/2005
    I dye my hair so much that even permanent dyes are only temporary changes for me. I'd be a bit shocked at purple for a blonde result though!