Review of "Superdrug Lip Balm"

published 16/04/2012 | star3683
Member since : 14/11/2010
Pro soft, smooth lips, good moisture levels, good price
Cons far to much shimmer
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Excess Shimmer!"

I have a really, really bad habit and that is picking my lips. This is something that I have done for years but is a habit that I have battled to beat over and over again. But recently I have been trying extra hard and really want to cure my bad habit and have nice smooth, soft lips again. I have been trying various different lip balms etc to help my lips become soft and smooth again and now they are getting a little better I thought a lip balm with a hint of shimmer might be nice. Whilst shopping in Superdrug I stumbled on their own brand Pearl Lip Shimmer Balm and decided to give it a try.

The Pearl Lip Shimmer Balm comes in a 4.8g stick and currently costs just £0.99. Due to the cheap price I thought that it was worth a try. I had tried the Nivea Pearly Shine Lip Care in the past and was tempted again but for more than double the price of the Superdrug lip balm I thought I would give it a miss this time to try a own brand product.

The Lip Balm comes packaged in a stick form, which you simply pull off the cute baby pink top then twist the bottom to push up the stick of lip balm inside. The tube comes packaged in a pink cardboard sleeve which simply has the Superdrug logo and a kiss picture on the front. On the back of the sleeve and the tube it states how the lip balm works:
- Provides a soft, subtle shimmer
- Effectively protects the lips from dehydration
- Leaves lips feeling soft, supple and smooth
It also states that the lip balm is preservative free, dermatologically tested, suitable for vegans and vegetarians and is not tested on animals.

The lip balm itself has a really light pink, shimmery colour and has a slightly sweet, vanilla fragrance. Applying the lip balm is really easy by simply sweeping the stick across your lips. As soon as I had applied a layer of the lip balm I was impressed with how smooth and silky it felt. I was though a little disappointed with the appearance of the lip balm on my lips as it does have a shimmer but it is a little too overpowering and made my lips look quite pale. What I tend to do is apply the lip balm and then wipe my finger across my lips to blend it a little and wipe away any excess. One thing that I have found to work is to apply a small amount of the lip balm before a clear lip gloss and this seems to work well to give my lips a nice shimmery, glossy look.

Overall this is a lovely feeling lip balm and seems to really work to moisturise my lips and leaves them feeling very soft indeed it is just a shame that the excess shimmer make my lips look so ghostly. I do not think I would buy this lip balm again but would certainly try the plain one instead as the moisturisation levels are great.