Delicate_... 4

Delicate_Orchid

Member since:01.01.1970

Tea Tree Magic Wand?

23.11.2004

Advantages:
cooling sensation, smells nice, does not dry out skin

Disadvantages:
no miracle treatment

40 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. glitterstar21
  2. better_dan_u
  3. angelic2004

***What is this product?***

This product is actually the Superdrug TEA TREE SPOT STICK.

First of all, I need to explain what this product is. I had proposed this category on Ciao a few weeks ago, but when I got their notification e-mail, I realised that they got the name of the product wrong and named it something non-descript that nobody would recognise. I hesitated writing this review for a while, but as it was my idea to propose this category, I think it is my obligation to be the trend-setter on Ciao for any future reviews in this category.

***Background***

Eversince I have been working long hours, my skin has changed for the worse. These days my face looks worse than it did when I was a teenager. I develop spots of all sorts - small ones, large ones, medium ones. I have now started testing lots of different products, some of which I found on Ciao. I recently remembered that Tea Tree was supposed to have healing properties and embarked on a journey to Boots and Superdrug to see what they had on offer.

***Superdrug's Tea Tree skincare range***

The Superdrug Tea Tree Spot Stick is part of Superdrug's Tea Tree skincare range. There are three different lines in this range: The Tea Tree with Natural Peppermint Oil products, the Tea Tree with Natural Grapefruit products and the Tea Tree with Natural Lemon Oil products.

The spot stick itself is part of the Tea Tree and Peppermint Oil line of products, which includes the following other skincare items:

- Facial wash (150 ml at £2.49)
- Facial scrub (75 ml at £2.49)
- Cleaner-toner (200 ml at £2.49)
- Cleansing pads (40 pads at £2.99)
- Moisture gel (50 ml at £2.29)
- Spot stick (8 ml at £2.09)
- 100% essential pil (5 ml at £2.69)
- Blended oil (10 ml at £2.09)
- Nose strips (box of 5 at £2,99)

***The product***

The product comes in a bright green rectangular cardboard box, like the ones some mascara companies use. On two sides of the box you can read the description of the product. The words 'Tea Tree' are written in funky black lettering and two green leaves are pictures at the beginning of the description. The words 'spot stick' are written in red. Underneath the word you are told that the spot stick contains natural tea tree and peppermint oils.

On another side of the box you are told that the spot stick provides antibacterial action for use at any time. It explains that tea tree oil originates from Australia and that it is a natural antibacterial agent known for its antiseptic healing properties. In addition, the peppermint oil apparently has a therapeutic effect on skin disorders and provides a cooling sensation.

Below this description it is claimed that tea tree is the natural solution for any skin care problem.

You are supposed to apply the product directly to the affected area of your skin in the mornings and evenings.

Sounds good so far? I thought so. It was for this reason that I was rather disappointed when I came home and opened the little card board box. Out came a round tube that was exactly the shape of a mascara tube and contained 8ml of product. Again, I could see the Tea Tree logo and the directions for use on the tube.

But why was I so disappointed? Because the product looked like it was made for a child. I had believed (though the product does not claim this anywhere) that I was buying a cover-up spot stick that would hide my spots while reducing them in size. Instead I was greeted by a slimy bright green gooey looking substance in a see-through tube!

***My experience***

After cleansing my skin with Clerasil face wash, I screwed open the black screw-top, feeling a little annoyed. I then pulled out the white wand. At the bottom of the wand is a swab, about the size of the end of a cotton bud.

I was instantly pleased by the peppermint smell that greeted my nose. It was strong, intense and of the kind that clears your nose, kind of like a Trebor extra strong mint or Vick's Vapour Rub would do.

I looked at the swab and instantly noticed that the gooey green substance did not appear very green on the bud, so I was not too worried that I would be having green smudges on my face to "impress" my boyfriend with.

I started to lift the wand to my face and put some of the product onto my spots. It transpired that the goeey substance was more like a gel. Once it met the spots, it instantly seemed to have a cooling effect. It did not sting or irritate my skin, however. Like anticipated, the coverage appeared clear, not green.

I applied the product to all my spots and then had to wait about two minutes for it to dry before I could have my face get in contact with anything else (fingers, pillows, etc).

Initially, I would wash my face three times a day and apply the product each time. To my amazement, it did not dry out my skin at all, on the contrary. I found that, on most days, I did not need a moisturiser before applying any foundation.

Did it work? The jury is still out on this one. I did find that it seemed to reduce the swelling on my larger spots and that my skin did seem to become clearer over time. But the product seemed to have little or no effect on areas that were infested by smaller spots only (i.e. the type that you easily cover up with make-up).

My first tube lasted me about 10 days, with three applications a day. My second tube lasted me about 3 weeks, with 2 applications a day.

***Price and availability***

This product is only available at Superdrug and will set you back £2.09.

***The verdict***

While I certainly would not call it a "magic wand", I have become strangely attached to this product. I am about to finish my second bottle and I am considering buying a third one. At this price, it does not seem to be a huge waste of money. In any event, I did have the feeling it helped my larger unwanted guests disappear and I really did enjoy the cooling sensation of the product and its lovely minty smell.

**Further info***

Superdrug Stores PLC
Admail 838
Croydon, CR9 4WZ

www.superdrug.com

JuzzaNg 15.06.2005 14:49

Another great review. I didn't find this worked for me. I now use a neutrogena spot reduction gel. It's a bit pricey at nearly £5 a tube, but it lasts for ages and it really works :-) Juz x

jayandfoo 15.05.2005 19:23

Great informative review. x

tekin21 13.05.2005 21:49

My husband asked me to get him some some cream, maybe i'll get him this one. Luckily I very rarely get spots (touch wood). Jane x