Suzuki GSX-R750

Suzuki GSX-R750

Supersport

Review of "Suzuki GSX-R750"

published 16/12/2002 | dan916
Member since : 06/12/2002
Pro Speed, power, sex-appeal
Cons Very, very few!
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"1998 model hates the cold"

As with most reviews of this bike, I COULD begin by talking about the bike's affinity with the track, but I'd only find myself repeating what has been said numerous times before. Instead, I feel I should talk about a specific problem I have found with the '98 model.

My bike has now become my regular commuting bike, travelling around 1000 miles a month to and from outer London. It's been a dream to ride up until recently, when the weather started to turn cold.

On a rather cold, windy morning earlier this month my GSX-R finally gave up on me whilst riding to work. The engine cut out as I pulled up to a busy set of traffic lights, the fuel-injection warning light came on, and the bike refused to start again.

Not being the most mechanically minded person I know, I tried everything I coukld to start it......bump start, check fuses, check fuel etc, but with no luck. On return to my local garage later that night, after a few minutes in the garage, the bike fired up without a problem, making me look a bit of an idiot to say the least! The guys there knew that there must have been something wrong for it to cut out, so said they'd look at it the folowing day.

After many hours of checking the bike with the help of a Suzuki technical advisor, the problem was finally established. The cold air being drawn in through this models SRAD (Suzuki Ram Air Direct) system had caused the carbs to freeze over, with the problem being compounded by the high water content of modern fuel.

Obviously, this is therefore going to be a problem now for the rest of the winter, and would probably be a problem for many other bikes that have this SRAD system.
As to my advice on a workable solution, well, I've found two methods:

1. Purchase some Fuchs Silkolene Pro FST fuel additive to reduce the water content, but at £9 a bottle, it could be seen as costly solution.

2. Use some quality gaffer tape, and tape over the inside of the SRAD vents on the front of the bike for the winter. Not only is this a cheap solution, it is something you can do yourself, and something that is proven to work. I've been doing this since the breakdown, and have had no problems at all.

So, if any other Suzuki owners out there have had this problem, then hopefully this solution will be of use. It is also pleasing to add that this has been
the only fault found this winter, with the bike starting and running as if it were summer throughout.

All I can say to finish is that i can't wait until the warm weather returns and I can begin to use my GSX-R as it has been bred to be use.....on the track!!!

• Bluesky2004sky published 05/02/2007
    This is the information I have been looking for! Thanks. I have had a Bandit600 00 for the last 6 years, its got carb heaters, I never had cold morning problems. Reciently I got a GSXR750 98, every cold day/morning it cuts out at every set of lights and roundabout. I'm going straight home to tape up the ram air ducts tonight, untill the weather improves. Otherwise I love the GSXR. I have a question though, if the ram air ducts are covered up, how is the air getting into the carburettors? Thanks, great tip!
  • borneo2007 published 19/05/2006
    This bike is SUCH a looker! :>
  • charliekermit published 21/01/2006
    great review but more information on the bike would have been helpful otherwise great.. its a great bike i agree