Review of "Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R"

published 21/06/2005 | Kikie705
Member since : 05/06/2005
Pro Speed, looks (yes I know!), handling...
Cons Not a long ride bike!
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"My baby 'busa!"

Now the first thing I have to admit is that I don't actually own a Hayabusa - at aged 20 I have a feeling the insurance people would laugh in my face. But I have ridden one - it is in fact my Uncle's, who currently can't ride (broken leg).

I thought, considering the Hayabusa is my idol, I really should write about it. If you have read some of my previous reviews, you would have read that I have admitted to having a tattoo... now I admit that it is actually of the hayabusa logo (obsessed or what?!?)

When i first heard (at aged 13) that the Hayabusa was the fastest production bike in the world, I make it my mission to own one one day. Since then I've been working towards that goal. Now to me, the Hayabusa looks gorgeous, yes it is bigger, yes the fairing is full of holes, but there are reasons for both of those. But I admit that most bikers cannot stand the look of it - but just wait till they get on it!

I'm female, and I'm also not very tall. This means that ideally, the Hayabusa is totally the wrong bike for me. Watching my Uncle's face as I struggled to get the thing off its stand was something that said it all - what was gonna happen if I had to stop at lights etc?! My feet were just touching the ground, and before I had started it up I can tell you I didn't exactly feel confident!

But once its on the road (making the gorgeous roaring sound it does), the weight is just gone, its like riding my old 400 again. Well not quite, I was definitely not sticking to the British speed limits! The speed is amazing, I felt I could (but didn't) take on the world. This could have been me just being over confident, but the bike just gives you a quiet sense of smugness - you know your faster than anything your likely to meet!

The average price for a second hand 'busa is around £6000, but for an extra 2 and a half thousand, you can get a new one. Considering many other big bikes like Honda or Kawazaki usually charge in the region of £30000 for a new bike, this is amazing. But that's just the way Suzuki is.

There are several downsides to the 'busa however. The fuel just disappears after a day's riding and after too long you can feel yourself becoming incredibly uncomfortable. The length of the bike means a titch like me has to stretch to reach everything, and it can get very painful on the back and arms.

If your female or short, beware when it comes to the Hayabusa. If you want a Duke or something else thats prettier than it handles don't even bother. Basically, buy this bike if your a nut, if not, make sure you ride one at least once in your lifetime!

• essential1 published 23/06/2005
    There is afilm of one on the internet doing 250mph on the open road although the speedo only goes up to 220mph so the film is called 220mph but the rev counter keeps moving. I am considering buying a bike like this after wasting money on a car.
  • sharktrager2000 published 22/06/2005
    Thanks for the interesting review. I am considering buying a new car and motorbikes are not really my thing, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless. Thanks again.
  • Ian592000 published 21/06/2005