Svan High Chair

Svan High Chair

Review of "Svan High Chair"

published 21/11/2005 | kimp123
Member since : 23/09/2004
Pro Attractive and lasts through to Adulthood.
Cons Expensive.
Storage
Ease of cleaning
Safety
Stability

"Please Be seated."

The time was fast approaching when a bouncy chair or my lap would no longer be sufficient to 'feed' my little one.
So which highchair should I buy? There was so much choice...

Well basically I just wanted it to serve the purpose of seating my baby comfortably, while I attempted to get some food inside him and not rather everywhere else.

Oh and also could it match my lounge... typical me, thinking about the important things.
My partner and I set about scouring the various sites on-line (That's how we buy most things these days).
One particular highchair caught my eye purely because I liked the look of it, and felt that it would look 'part of the furniture' in my lounge/dining room. However on further inspection, It became clear that it was so much more...

*****The Svan Highchair.
This piece of furniture is constructed in natural wood (You can choose from natural or darker wood), and comes with a padded material inner seat which can be blue or red. Mine is red to match my colour scheme in the lounge/diner.
The highchair comes flat-packed and therefore needs assembling. My partner found this fairly easy to do and it took him about thirty minutes. When putting the chair together, you will notice that it is fully adjustable to suit the needs of your baby.
The fantastic thing about this chair is that in the first instance it is a very sturdy attractive highchair but as your baby grows, it grows too, because it can easily be adjusted into a child's sized seat and eventually into an adults chair.
This product is versatile from the start too because you can choose to use the tray part for the baby to rest their plate on, or to 'hang' it on the back of the highchair, and you can push the chair right up to the table thus using that as the child's feeding surface.
Positioned on the back of the highchair are two attachments for a safety harness to be fitted. The harness itself is not included.

*****To use.
The Svan chair has a safety bar that can easily be adjusted to insert and remove the child. You need to loosen the safety bar to seat the child, then when they are inside comfortably you adjust the bar to fit snuggly around the child's body. This provides support and safety for the child. Although it may sound complicated, I find this very easy to do. The highchair does not have wheels, but I am able to slide it around without too much effort, and although it is sturdy, its not too heavy for me to pick up if necessary.

*****Cleaning.
If anyone hasn't had a baby, then I will just say that this is a very important and regular part of feeding time. Cleaning the chair can be done with a warm damp cloth. I would advise doing this fairly quickly, so food does not become dried in. I also use an anti- bacterial spray, this is not however mentioned in the instruction booklet. I do think that the plastic trays are probably easier to clean than wooden ones. The padded seat insert is machine washable at 40 degrees.
Cleaning the floor underneath the chair is easy because the chair can be 'hung' on the table.

*****Price and Availability.
We ordered this chair on-line from Bibs and Stuff, and paid £150.00. Yes it is pricey, but not if it lasts through to adulthood. Lets hope it does. This chair is widely available and prices do vary. Mothercare currently stock it at £164.00.

*****Babies Verdict.
When I first put little Charlie into the chair he seemed all over the place, but I think that this is because he wasn't supporting himself properly... maybe because he was only two months old..JOKING!!!! I left it for a while and tried again, this time he was much more stable and now happily sits in his highchair to eat his meals, and sometimes just to join us at the table when we are eating. It is lovely to have him up at the table with us (most of the time). He looks comfortable and really enjoys being part of our family mealtimes.

*****My Thoughts.
I am very happy with this chair. It serves the purpose that it was bought for and looks good too. What more could you want? Instead of being just another baby accessory, the chair is a piece of furniture. Although the chair does lack some of the features that others have. It doesn't recline for instance, this is not a problem to me at all because although I do want my baby to be sat comfortably, I don't think he should be too comfortable, a bit like the difference between us sitting on the sofa, or a dining chair. When my baby first started weaning, I was happy using my lap, but if you wanted a highchair for an under six month old, then this one probably is not for you.
The cost of this highchair is comparable to other brands and has the excellent bonus of lasting through to adulthood.

Thanks for reading.xx

Looks very swish... :)
  • gayna1979 published 28/11/2005
    Great review. Gayna x
  • elephants69food_0 published 24/11/2005
    does look and sound like the buisness but a lot of money - well written informative review em x

offers "Svan High Chair"