Single Track from Cher Lloyd - Genre: Dance - Release Year: 2011

Review of "Swagger Jagger - Cher Lloyd"

published 18/08/2011 | IzzyInTheHouse
Member since : 24/03/2011
Now on dooyoo under the same name! Withdrawn my £80!
Pro Catchy
Cons So Catchy you have it stuck in your head for the next few days!
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"Haterz Gon' Hate!"

Swagger Jagger

Cher Lloyd

Anyone who watches X Factor, is a member of Facebook or has even picked up a newspaper when X Factor was still airing, will probably have heard of Cher. If you haven't heard of her, then her idea is pretty much mixing rap with pop. She made it through to the live finals and went on to the finals. She ended up with 4th place though as she had the least amount of public votes on the night. In my eyes she was much more suited to the kids, tweens and teenagers watching X Factor, though I did like her on the whole. After the show she joined a record company (Syco and Sony) and Swagger Jagger was her first single.

You have to feel sorry for Cher in some ways though. I think the media forget, she is just a 17 year old girl trying to make it in the career she has always dreamed of! Through the whole time she was on the show (and for a while after) she took blow after blow from newspapers and even recieved death threats from haters. Is this partly what fueled this song?
Backing Music

Hard to explain if you haven't listened to it, but it has a sound of quite high electronic music in the verses and then a softer side but still quite fast music for when she is singing in the chorous. Although it is a bit over done at times with the backing track, it is perfect for the club atmosphere or a song to get you going when trying to motivate yourself to finish the housework! It has a really clear beat to it and the song would be nothing without it!

Lyrics

To give you an example here is the chorous:

Swagger jagger, swagger jagger
You should get some of your own
Count that money, get your game on
You're a hater, just let it go

That is what the whole song is about; haters! What is "swagger jagger"? I will be honest, I'm not completely sure! It is something to do with haters with a swagger jagger being some one who tries to "steal your style"! Don't quote me on it, but I think that is the rough idea.

The verses are also based on the same idea. How haters can't stop looking at her, tweetin' 'bout her, written 'bout her so get off out her face! It is all based on the idea of how she is fed up of haters really, but she won't give in so easily and not before she winds them up a bit!

The real highlight of the song for most though is probably the bridge part. Though she prefers rapping, she is actually a really good singer, she showed this when she sang "Stay" on The X Factor. It was really nice to here and I am really glad she sang in Swagger Jagger, even though it was only for around 30 seconds! The music doesn't really slow down much, but her lyrics fit in quite well, in my opinon! She actually sounds pretty sweet! It is a nice little additon to mix up the verses and the chourous (which features a lot!).

The lyrics aren't amazing and do not really have a message in them like Eminem's rapping, but they fit in well to the electronic backing. Cher knows what kids like nowadays and that's up beat songs that you can sing along to. One of my only dissapointments is that she didn't really "rap" in this song. There was a flow but she was talking in a way! But apart from that, the lyrics are catchy and easy to learn, even if you have only heard the song once!

Overall

I think Swagger Jagger will probably appeal more to the younger age of around 7-15 ish to be honest. Though I would say it is worth just looking it up on YouTube. You might like it, you might not! But one warning ... it is catchy! I had this stuck in my head for a few days after first hearing it!

Would I recommend? Yeah, give it a go! Cher Lloyd is music's Marmite ... and her song is the same! You really will either love it or hate it!

Thanks for reading! Please rate and leave a comment :) x

• fizzytom published 10/09/2011
    I think I'd rather eat celery (and that is saying something)
  • KarenUK published 29/08/2011
    I can't stand this song!
  • dawnymarie published 25/08/2011
    I have not heard any of her songs to date - well reviewed x