Home > Ciao Café > Sport > Swimming > Swimming in General > Reviews

tasha164 5

tasha164

Member since:15.02.2002

Keep fit and maybe save a life

19.02.2002

Advantages:
Keeps you fit, you may save a life

Disadvantages:
None

14 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. kazbo
  2. fabfrog5
  3. floatingclouds

Swimming is a sport that can be done by anyone, old, young, thin, fat, and people with health problems – it can help your breathing, make your body less stiff and help to keep you in condition. I know when my Nan had her heart attack that she was encouraged to start gentle swimming.

I started swimming for fun when I was about 7, and used to go with my Mum, step-dad and step-brother, but most of the time I used to play around in the shallow end and on the slides, because my mum used to keep dragging me back from the deep end as she didn’t think I was a good enough swimmer – well I showed her.

When I was 10, my bampi, who swims to help his bad back and hips saw me swimming and decided to take me to the local swimming club for a trial, the man watched me swim and told him I was really good, so I joined the club.

I now swim twice a week at the club and once a week in school and also I go with my friends at weekends as I live next door to my school, which has a community swimming pool.

THE CLUB
The sessions in the club are 1 hour long, and we are kept in the water for all this time – I am also in the B Squad for galas but don’t really like sprint swimming, as I am more of a distance swimmer. Every Wednesday we do roughly 150 lengths of all strokes, including –
·Backstroke
·Breaststroke
·Front crawl
·Butterfly
And on Fridays we do roughly 100 lengths of all strokes. My bampi always allows me to have a bag of chips after swimming as he says I deserve it.

WHAT CAN IT DO FOR YOU?
It will keep you fit without putting a lot of pressure on your muscles, it can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be (unless you have my swimming instructor) and that’s why it is good for people with health problems.

People are often told to swim by their doctors after accidents as it can help them to get the muscles back in shape.

WHAT NOT TO DO BEFORE GOING SWIMMING

·Try not to each much food for three hours before going swimming, especially meat because it is heavy on your stomach.

·Don’t drink fizzy drinks as they will give you a stitch, pain or make you feel bloated.

WHAT TO DO BEFORE GOING SWIMMING

·Try and warm up before going swimming or your muscles will feel sore afterwards.

·Take jewellery off before going in the pool as you could lose it in the water or someone could pull it or it could be caught and could hurt you.

LIFE SAVING CLUB
I also used to go to life-saving club that teaches you to help people who may be in trouble in the water and how to save their life if they are not breathing –CPR.

From going to the club, I can swim with all my clothes on, and wouldn’t be afraid to help someone in trouble.

FOR LONG DISTANCE SWIMMERS

Want a challenge? Well, for the past two years I have taken part in the BT Swimathon which runs all over the country March, it is for long distance swimmers only. There are many different events
·1,500 metres
·2,500 metres
·5,000 metres
Also you can take part in any of these events alone or in a team of up to five people.

Last of all if you have completed all of these events and want to try even more there is an event, which you do in your own time to complete as many lengths as you can.

I have done and completed the 1,500metres-64 lengths, which took me 49minutes and the 5,000metres, which took me 2hours, and 19minutes and I am one of the youngest people to do it at the age of eleven, and was the youngest person in the pool and not the last to finish and got my picture in the local paper with my medal. I will be doing the 5,000 metres again in March.

Go on, give it ago, you can be proud that you are so fit and that you will also have helped to raise money for someone with cancer, and other charities that they collect for – my stepfather had cancer last year and it is something that has affected many members of our family.

HAPPY SPLASHING! tasha164

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

fabfrog5 03.05.2006 12:09

a great review! i still cant swim! bring back swansea leisure centre i say! i used to love the slides! :) x

libby_brown 13.08.2003 23:51

Great op! you have inspired me to start up swimming again i've been meaning to do it for ages! keep up the good swimming , i'll look out for you in future olympics!

Cheekychicken 01.04.2002 04:02

Aw, you keep your swimming up no matter what Tasha. I gave it up at around 14 because it was hard work and also I dicovered boys, I have always regretted it though. Mel