Sykescottages.co.uk

Online Holiday Booking

Review of "Sykescottages.co.uk"

published 25/08/2010 | marmaladecat
Member since : 24/08/2010
Pro Spacious and well-equipped in lovely setting
Cons Local water source with strange discolouration (safe however)
Layout & Design
Navigation
How fast is this website?
Content Update
Search Facility

"Relaxing break at The Wheelhouse, near Liverton, N. Yorks"

We spent a wonderfully relaxing week at The Wheelhouse during the May Bank holiday and can honestly say, we did not want to leave. The setting is superb-peaceful and quite remote, as it is a long way from the main road down a winding driveway, and with lovely views across open countryside towards the sea. The only sounds to be heard are birdsong and the occasional passing of the beautiful racehorses belonging to the house owner and which are stabled behind the house. There is ample parking and this converted barn has been very imaginatively and tastefully renovated to provide spacious, well-appointed, comfortable accommodation.
There were three generations of us staying and this home-from-home suited us perfectly, as there was a twin bedroom and large bathroom on the ground floor for my 80 year old father and two further double bedrooms upstairs, plus a second bathroom, for me and my husband and my adult daughters, who were backwards and forwards with partners in tow all week! There is also a galleried landing with double futon, which would be ideal for any additional guests. The kitchen is large but cosy, with a long dining table and very well equipped, including a dishwasher, which was essential for a large group! The weather was very mixed, so it was lovely to relax in the cosy sitting room around a roaring log fire on the chillier evenings, but then sun ourselves on the rear patio when the weather improved, which it did-dramatically!
The owner lives in the nearby farmhouse and is extremely welcoming and friendly. She had left us a welcome gift of wine, a basket of fresh eggs, milk and sweets, which we much appreciated and she also sold us some more of her delicious eggs later in the week.
My only reservation (not a criticism!) of this house was about the tap water, which was perfectly safe and drinkable, but which came from a private source, had a strong metallic taste and was very orange in colour, staining the sink and bath, due to the peat content. We would therefore recommend using bottled water for drinking and not washing anything white, as it would probably end up orange!
The house is very well decorated and furnished with care but the curtains in one of the upstairs bedrooms are cream so the morning sun woke us at about 4 o'clock each morning! Maybe the owner could consider changing them for something darker, but I am struggling to find anything else remotely negative to say.
I am sure we will be visiting The Wheelhouse again and look forward very much to another peaceful break.

• Summers_mummy published 25/08/2010
    Good review
  • dynamicnurse published 25/08/2010
    Welcome to Ciao! Nice work, well written.