Review of "TCP Antiseptic Liquid"

published 02/05/2011 | splishsplash
Member since : 16/01/2011
Our lovely dog Jess who appeared in many of my reviews lost her 6 month fight with epilepsy earlier this year. Now trying to get back into the world again. Good to be back with my friends on site.
Pro Multi purpose antiseptic lotion.
Cons Oooh it can sting!
Effectiveness
Price

"Ouch! That Boat Bites!"

If you have looked at my profile you will have realised that I live a slighty different life, working and living on boats. "How lucky you are !" i hear you cry , well, it is not all Gin and Tonics as the sun sets but it does have it´s moments , not many people get to see dolphins playing in the moon beams as they sail along.

On the down side it is a fairly roughty toughty job and you certainly get your fair share of bumps and bruises.We always have,at least two bottles of TCP around,one on the shelf in the bathroom at home and one on whatever boat we are working on and we do seem to use it up because it is so very versatile.

I am sure most people are familiar with TCP liquid from school day falls in the playground,a dab of the clear yellow liquid certainly did sting but it also prevented any infection. Working on boats we tend still to get lots of bumps and scrapes ,(known as boat bites ), so the TCP is in constant use,it is particularly good if you get a cut on a part of you where a plaster just will not stick ,thumbs are really awkward or if you are in and out of the water all the time,plasters tend to fall off easily. The TCP will heal you up without a plaster. I put this to the test yet again a few weeks ago when in a big gust of wind the gang plank decided to try and detatch itself from the stern of the boat and come into the lounge where we were watching the tv. This resulted in much huffing and puffing on our part and I managed to trap my hand between the stancion and the gangplank! many bad words resulted from this and two really nasty grazes on the back of my hand, not deep enough for plasters but they got a generous swab of TCP twice a day and they healed up quickly.

Not only can it be used for cuts and grazes It can be dabbed undiluted on mouth ulcers ,boils spots and pimples. For sore throats ,gargle twice a day with TCP diluted in 5 parts of water DO NOT SWALLOW! I have just used it as a mouth rinse as I am waiting for the completion of a crown and it certainly helps with the discomfort.

The bottle itself is reassuringly old fashioned being the traditional dark brown medicine bottle with a white screw on top. On the front it has a lime green and turquoise label,(who chose those colours!) Stating TCP liquid antseptic, soothes pain ,fights infection and on the reverse is a multidude of information about how to use the product including a peel back label for more info eg don´t use if you have an allergic skin condition.

It may not be everybodies favourite smell , all I can say is that to me it smells reassuringly clean and it´s traditional dark brown bottle seems to be the same design as the one the teachers used on our knees all those years ago. After using it for more than 30years I can thoroughly recommend it and still prefer it to Savlon and other antiseptic creams particularly if you are in a damp or humid climate.

We bought our last botle in Morrisons in Gibraltar where they tend to hike up the prices because of transport costs but Boots supply it for 3.29 fo 200ml.Buy some for your first aid kit.

Thankyou for reading my review which may also be posted on Dooyoo under Springtide.

• catsholiday published 02/05/2011
    It is good but stinks!
  • AddictedToBeauty published 02/05/2011
    I can't stand the smell of this! And when people walk around stinking of it it makes me cringe to think what they might have used it for lol. x
  • HannahBoo published 02/05/2011
    I don't think I've ever used this before, good review :)