TSP

Cons Editors choice, P + P
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"TSP - The Special Prices"

I joined TSP (The Softback Preview) back in the beginning of last year. I was quite shocked when I saw the deal. It was three books for £3! (no mention of the postage and packaging which is extra) That is something that is rare and very unusual these days, such a money saving offer. I then looked at the commitment side of the club and there was no commitment, I was truly shocked, because book clubs always offer these excellent offers and then catch you out by getting you to buy 4 or 5 books in the first year. Which in the end means you have paid back for the books you got ‘free’ in the first place. When you buy the books you do have to pay for postage and packaging that makes the books a bit more expensive, but there is still a considerable saving.

I found this offer through www.mypoints.co.uk (a site where you collect points and then you can exchange them for gift vouchers afterwards, I have written an opinion on it – check it out). By taking up the offer with this site I got my books and then 500 points! This was very handy and a good payout of points. The link is on that site (I think) but you must be a member of MyPoints first before you can take advantage. The link is actually on The Daily Draw so if you want to earn 500 points go on to the MyPoints site and find the Daily Draw link.

I got my books all for a low price of £6.99! That was amazing to me – 3 books for that. I had a wide selection to choose from, over 90 books. I can’t remember what they were so I have looked on the site today and checked out them and here are a few of the offers – Bill Bryson (RRP: £16.99 – TSP: £1), Lord of the Rings 3 Volume Set (RRP: £50.97 – TSP: £1) and The Internet Bible Second Edition (RRP: £33.99 – TSP: £1). Every book is only £1! It is great. You have a massive selection to choose from and they are really good books. Not old reject books that are not any good, they are decent fairly up to date books. The savings aren’t as good as all those you do get some savings of under £10, but most are over £10. I don’t think I know any book club/shop that offers savings on books like that. The categories of books you can choose from are:

History = 16 books
Reference = 16 books
Health and Self-Help = 11 books
Fiction = 8 books =
Literature and Language = 13 books
Erotica = 3 books
Typically TSP = 21 books
Science and Maths = 9 books

These categories were only on the website which you can find at www.go.eTSP.co.uk otherwise if you order by post you get to look at a card, which is by far worse. You don’t get half as much detail and you don’t get to see any pictures of the books. It will come inside magazines and newspapers. Also you get a free document case – not sure how much it is worth but it is FREE! Another incentive to make you join.

When I ordered I ordered of the Internet, it was a very good website and it was full of information to help you. It is colourful, informative and well laid out. You can find your way around easily and they have made it so easy. On the site they had three sections to help you ‘decide’. They are called - ‘Who we are’ (“TSP offers the best in current reading, from Science & History to biography & reference, all chosen for their literary merit or special interest and offered at up to 50% off the publisher’s hardback price.” The next part is ‘What we’ve got’ (here they describe Membership details and a few other unimportant things). The last section they have is called ‘How you get it’ in this part they help you through what you have to do to order). These three sections are good because they help all buyers understand everything. They have laid out the details well and made it simple and plain.

I received my books in perfect condition. They were not damaged in any way at all and the books were top notch. They came rapped up with the first ‘magazine’ and offers they like to include. My bill was also in there and they wouldn’t want to forget that would they! They came within about 28 days and were great. I have read them all and I am very happy. I am no longer a member, (didn’t want to have to deal with all the membership things and all that stuff that you have to do with book clubs).

I do have one thing to say that you must be careful about editor’s choices. If you forget to cancel them then they send you the books and you have to pay for the postage and packaging both ways. This can amount up to £5.00, so be careful when doing the ordering form. Always remember to cancel the editor’s choice.

A few final points they have a few incentive programs linked with them, Ipoints and MyPoints are one of the many. So remember when ordering if you are with any of these programs to collect your points or go through the site to make sure you receive them. They also have an incentive program as well - £10 for everyone that joins from your website. There is over 20 book clubs in the BCA (I think that’s the name) and they all offer this incentive. By the way the magizine was always very good - a small little broucher full of books - over 200.

Go on give it a try. Highly recommended.