Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector

Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector

GPS Speed Camera Detector

Review of "Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector"

published 01/01/2006 | FallScrape
Member since : 16/02/2003
Pro Clear and precise
Cons Makes me feel like a bad boy

"Add another tool to help you drive safely"

I purchased my Talex from Woolworths in the sales this January. Mine was a cut version without the cable, but still offers the same functionality that you'd expect from a speedcamera detection system but it's so much more than that.

The Talex has several extra functions - it tells you when you're approaching a speedcamera, announces the type (fixed/specs/mobile) and blackspots. It also monitors your speed during the area designated as dangerous. It'll give you a warning when you've passed the danger area. It also reads out the time, tells you after two hours of driving to have a break and allows you to switch all these voice commands off.

I was quite suprised to find that the road running through my village is almost entirely targeted by the police as 'mobile speed camera area' whereas the stretch of M25 I travelled down and A127 was dead empty. If you're in this area, a woman shouts at you to slow down - even if you're only a mile over the limit!

The reason I purchased and justified my purchase of this device was punishment. I was recently cut up by a van. By driving off in a huff, I didn't pay attention to my speed, looked up and realised I was in the sights of a manned mobile speed unit. Screeeeech!

Realising how close I was to loosing my license, I've been waiting every day by the letterbox for my fine. Fortunately I've not seen it yet. I'll leave it on the speeding alerts to tell me off - speeding is dangerous in built up areas and it's an unforgiveable crime. Don't think this device will help you break the law, it helps you abide and control yourself!

Updates are a bit of a hassle if you've bought the light version like me - but don't dismiss this! You have several options available. If you buy the full version you get the cable and some software at the same time. The light seems to be exactly the same, but without a serial cable! Pay the extra £34.99 for the cable set and save yourself £25! Updates can be done via the cable you purchase with your updates, or alternatively you can request a jiffy bag where they will update your device and return it to you all updated - for only £10. How often are you going to update this device? If you're not a big long distance driver you'll rarely need to update it, so save your subscription cash and opt for the envelope run!

The device can sit on a magnetic base that adheses to your dash. If you've got a special tint windscreen with metal ingrained in it, forget it - no external antennae slot, though I believe they offer a special accessory for the device.

Voice alerts, speedo readout and a mute mode! What more do you need?

• thepcclinic published 02/01/2006
    That sounds like a good device! I need to get something like this. By the way, if you don't receive your Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of your offense, then it doesn't count. Have a look at http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/crimeprevention/other/safetycam2.htm for more info Chris
  • cfcamm published 02/01/2006
    good review - chris
  • Playgirl27 published 01/01/2006
    Hmm can't decide if these are a good idea or not surly those that buy these speed in none camera areas strange never new these existed, lol, lou xx