Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector

Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector

GPS Speed Camera Detector

Review of "Talex GPS Speed Camera Detector"

published 22/11/2006 | roustabout
Member since : 21/11/2006
Pro Simple and effective
Cons Styling could improve
Ease of Use
Range of Extra Features
Robustness & Durability
Look & Feel

"Stand up Talex - your time has come"

I bought my Talex Lite from Tesco on a special offer. I had 6 points on my licence and getting quite paranoid about driving. My points were from just exceeding 30 mph in both cases and both local. It's so easy to be thinking of something else and allow your speed to creep into the forbidden zone.

This unit is excellent - small and easy to fit on its magnetic mount - there are alternative mountings for the windscreen if required. You are advised to unplug and remove the unit if leaving the car unattended and this is easily done being small enough to slip in your pocket.

I like its simplicity - the display gives speed when moving and time (taken from the satellite - there's nothing to set) when stationary. Clear warnings both visual and audible inform you well in advance of all types of fixed speed cameras and their maximum speed as well as possible mobile sites. There are reassuring little jingles that say 'Your speed is OK' and 'You are clear of the speed camera zone'. On the other hand approach a camera above the limit and a friendly but firm voice will say 'Attention - reduce speed'.

I'm struggling to fault this unit. I did see a complaint about the update cost, but there are special offers out there and £49.99 for 3 years of accurate and up-to-date information sounds pretty good value to me. Another beef was that the 'all clear jingle' sounds when you are level with gatso cameras and not when past the chevrons - This is true but it's never caused me a problem. I would like to give 5 stars to this little gem but on the grounds that nothing is ever perfect and we must not let complacency creep in, I will award 4 big ones.

At a cost just above one fine (not to mention those far more important points) I would recommend this product 100% - buy one, you won't regret it!

• DKtheDJ published 24/11/2006
    Good concise review - if I hadn't already got my tomtom I might have gone and got one.
  • n13roy published 22/11/2006
    I didn't know Tesco sold stuff like this.......although, come to think of it, is there ANYTHING they don't sell nowdays !!!!!..........Roy.....
  • laramax published 22/11/2006
    Good review but you left me wanting to know more - how much does the unit itself cost? Does it detect mobile cameras or does it just advise you of the likely sites?