TalkTalk

TalkTalk

Review of "TalkTalk"

published 04/10/2006 | allyoxley
Member since : 27/02/2006
doesn't this lovely weather put you in a brilliant mood
Pro Regular monthly payment
Cons Rubbish Customer Services
Line Quality
Customer service quality
Customer service waiting times
Tariffs & Charges
Accuracy of Charges

"TALK TALK - NOT ON YOUR LIFE"

I am not a customer of Talk Talk and after my experiences with them would never ever be.

My parents who are 80 joined Talk Talk a few months ago, up to a month ago no problems. Then one morning there phone was dead, my mum called me from a phone box asking me to report it to Talk Talk for them. She gave me a freephone number to use, as she had been trying to get throught for ages with no joy.

Finally after a 30 minute wait, I managed to get through to Talk Talk to report the fault on my parent's line. I was told I had to ring a different number as my parents line had been transferred to a different unit because they are having Broadband installed. I explained that my parents didn't have Broadband, but Customer Services were not having any of it and gave me a number beginning with 0870.

I tried the 0870 number and held for 40 minutes listening to the normal 'sorry all our operators are busy' then finally the phone clicked and I was disconnected. Again I tried, this time I held for 35 minutes and finally an operator came on the line. I explained my parent's line was out of order, and again was told this was due to them having Broadband installed. I explained that my parents are in their 80's and don't even own a computer, but they argued the toss with me over it. I was told the line would be back on within 4 hours.

Seven hours later, the line was still not working, so once again I phoned the 0870 number, again after around 30 minutes I finally got though to an operator, this time I was told the fault was to do with the BT line, but would definitely be on by the morning. I left them my phone number and asked if they would contact me if there were going to be any further problems. I also added that spending all day for 30-40minutes at a time was not really on. This was ignored by the operator and he told me it was definite that the line would be back on by Tuesday monrning.

Tuesday morning arrived, and guess what still no phone line and yet again more calls. Again I held for 40 minutes, at the end of this time a voice came on and said the number was engaged, even though I had been connected for the last 40 minutes and once again disconnected me.

I tried again and again and then got through. By noew I was getting annoyed and told them it was not on making people hold for that long and then disconnecting them. Again this comment from me was ignored, and I was told that a wire had come loose at the exchange and a new one had been ordered. To be honest I have never heard su many different excuses for a phone line not working. I asked why nobody had phoned me to tell me there was still a problem as promised and he just said he didn't know and that they had been trying to contact my parents mobile phone. This was laughable as my parent's don't have a mobile phone, and as they had never actually spoke to Talk Talk, how had they acquired a mystery number which doesn't even exist.

Well believe it or not my constant phonecalls and there constant excuses went on for four days, in which I must have spent around 10 hours on the phone (nearly all of which was waiting). You must understand that I kept on at them about the phone line, for the reasons as explained to Talk Talk, my parents are elderly and I need to be able to reach them and likewise.

The line just went on all of a sudden without any call from Talk Talk to make us aware of this.

What has really infuriated me is the fact that the 0870 numbers are the only numbers you can phone Talk Talk on to report a fault. It was not until I did my homework that I found out that these calls are charged at 7.5p a minute, and here comes the infuriating part, Talk Talk earn 2.5p per minute from these calls. No wonder they never answer the phone until 30 minutes or more, or that they disconnect you after 40 minutes and you have to phone them again. They are constantly making money out of you in this way.

I don't know about you but I find this totally unacceptable, surely if you have a fault on your line, there should be a free phone number to report it on. If my parents had not going anyone to phone Talk Talk for them, I think they would have had to purchase a portable chair and took bed and board in the local phone box, plus took a bank loan to report the fault in the first place. No wonder Talk Talk make competitive rates on their phone bills, they are making all their money out of phonecalls to Customer Services.

I have contacted Talk Talk, this time by letter, requesting that when my phone bill comes in that I want compensation for this phone calls. After all the fault was their error, their customer services is atrocious and my phone bill is going to be around an extra £45 just for phoning to report a fault. Their response is that they may consider it, but it is normal practice and that they will take the matter under advice.

My parents phone line since then has intermittedly gone on and off, sometimes it is dead, sometimes it cuts you off mid-conversation. As stupid as it seems I have wrote to report the fault., I cannot afford another £45, and my parents certainly can't. So I have invested in a mobile phone for them, it's cheaper than phoning Talk Talk to do it this way, and plus I know I can contact them and vice versa at anytime.

For my parents to come out of Talk Talk now is breaking their contract and they would be charged £75 for doing so. In the meantime, they have also wrote to Talk Talk to have the Broadband removed from their phoneline.

I would never Talk Talk to Talk Talk again, writing is the only option in future.

This review was read 19548 times and was rated at

• davy246 published 19/09/2007
    Very well written I have talktalk and my phone lines went dead but I did get it working after a week.
  • bungledoodle1 published 22/08/2007
    very well written with plenty of information, with me having talk talk a while ago and giving it a good reveiw i suffered similar problems with them aftter i wrote it.
  • lulucyole published 01/08/2007
    thank you i was going to sign up to their service but i am glad I discovered you review

Product Information : TalkTalk