Review of "Tamoretti Retro 50"

published 18/08/2010 | stargirl0412
Member since : 19/07/2010
Satisfactory
Pro Great looking bike, very comfortable ride, twist and go; very economical to run
Cons Mechanically rubbish, poor quality, cheap Chinese import; in the garage every 6wks for repair
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"Tamoretti scooter: more style than substance"

I bought my Tamoretti 50cc scooter second hand a year ago. It was registered in 2007 and had 6,000 miles on the clock.

I ran fine for about two months, but after that I've had one problem after another with it, which is a shame because it's a great looking bike and draws a lot of admiring glances and comments.

It's also a lovely, comfortable ride - like sitting in an armchair with wheels!

To be fair, once you've got it started it's generally okay - the main problem is in getting the bike started. On a few occasions, it has lost power while in busy traffic - extremely dangerous!

It can go at 40mph top speed if there's no wind but when you come to a hill it wheezes up at barely 20mph.

When I bought this bike I was drawn by its cool, retro look. But it's caused me no end of worry, and late arrivals at work because I couldn't get it started, not to mention several costly trips to the garage.

Now I've bought a boring, functional one-year-old Yamaha, as I now prefer to get from A to B without any dramas than look cool on a retro bike. So the Tamoretti will have to go. A shame: as it has great potential.