Tarka Springs Sparkling Water

Tarka Springs Sparkling Water

Sparkling Water

Review of "Tarka Springs Sparkling Water"

published 17/05/2013 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Pro Refreshing.
Cons Fizzy.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"I feel fizzy-cool!"

Tarka Springs Sparkling Water is a carbonated drink, that was originally bottled at source in a natural spring in Devon. Tarka Country is where it comes from, and is so called because of the original book entitled Tarka the Otter which was written and based in the area of Northe Devon that surrounds Exmoor.

As already pointed out, this is a carbonated drink - therefore it is sparkling (fizzy), and can give you great discomfort if you burp almost immediately after having a mouthful because of the amount of bubbles that will go up through your nose! However it is also worth pointing out that there is a non-fizzy version of this drink too, but that is not the purposes of the review.

The bottle itself is a clear one, and the only packaging is the label that sits around the centre point of it. It is a mixture of white and pale green, with the writing in bold or normal green print - the screw lid is also green in colour. On the label is the name of the water; a small description of it; the quantity (which is of course the normal 500 ml bottle); contact details of the firm that has originally produced it; a picture of an otter (presumably its namesake), and a list of the typical water analysis per litre. I have to admit that this is the first time that I have not seen an actual ingredients list as such on a bottle of water, but I do not know the reasoning behind this.

As already noted previously, this particular bottle is a 500 ml bottle - I must note however, that I have not yet seen any different sizes as other makes may have. I bought this particular drink for 30 pence in my local corner shop, it is also sold in many other places for different prices as is usually the norm in this day and age.

Taken straight from the side of the bottle, the typical water analysis per litre is as follows:

Calcium 18 mg; Magnesium 15 mg; Potassium 0.72 mg; Sodium 16 mg; Aluminium less than 2 ug; Iron less than 9 ug; Manganese less than 2 ug; Nitrate less than 60 mg; Chloride 18 mg; Flouride 240 ug; Sulphate 19.8 mg, and total dissolved solids 148 mg.

I must state that it is not a typo having put 'ug' against some of the names, although the symbol is written somewhat differently on the label - my computer does not have the correct symbol, and I have tried to search for what this actually measn but with no success. You also may have noticed that the analysis is per litre and yet my review is on a 500 ml bottle, and so therefore all that you will need to do is simply half everything.

The contact details are as follows:

Tarka Springs Ltd.,
Little Comfort Farm,
Langtree,
Devon,
EX38 8NY.

Telephone: 01805 601179.

I do realise that this particular product may not quite be to everyone's taste buds, owing to its fizziness. However, I personally enjoy it from time to time as an alternative to 'normal water', and so therefore I would just like to recommend it to you now.

Thanks for reading!

• cha97michelle published 20/05/2013
    The sign you mention is micrograms. 1000micrograms = 1g if my memory serves me correctly.
  • anonymili published 17/05/2013
    Still not keen on buying bottled water unless I have no choice, i.e. in a restaurant or bar... Happy to drink tap water at home, hasn't killed me yet :)
  • pinky50 published 17/05/2013