rolandrat... 4

rolandrat123

About me: I sometimes include ingredients in reviews but please ignore if you are not interested.

Member since:23.03.2012

Good simple steamer that works really well.

23.03.2012

Advantages:
Quick, convenient, simple cooking .

Disadvantages:
Bases of baskets definitely not as good as could be .

14 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Autarkis
  2. cha97michelle
  3. xxfoxyredxx

---Why I Buy This---

I am not a very adventurous cook but I wanted a basic type of steamer which would cook vegetables easily. I began with a steamer instead of a pressure cooker as I would put potatoes on to cook while I went and collected son from school - and the steamer ensured we had hot food waiting for us when we got back home - and it was safe as it would switch itself off when cooking was completed.

---The Brand---

Tefal is a French cookware and small appliance manufacturer owned by Groupe SEB. Its name is a portmanteau of the words TEFlon and ALuminium. Tefal is known for creating the non-stick cookware. (Wikipedia.)

---The Product---

Over the years I have had a few of these machines - all of which varied slightly - although none of mine had stackable baskets.
The Tefal Steam Cuisine food steamer is 3 tiered and has three baskets.
(I have had a few baskets with fixed bases but most come with removable green plastic bases which also have indentations to take eggs.)
There is a white rice bowl.
Green plastic lid.
White base with turn knob, power light and timer plus window to view water level.
A round funnel to fit in the base and funnel steam upwards.
A white drip tray to collect the water than falls back from the food.
Some have a plastic divider to separate food in the baskets.
Some have a little clip on handle.
Dimensions for use (hxwxd) -38x32x25cms.

---Instructions---

Using a steamer could not be easier.
* You put boiling water into the base unit up to the fill line.
* Insert the round funnel type piece of plastic which directs the steam up the centre of the steamer.
* Insert the drip tray on top.
* Place food in the baskets - not too full - and place on top of drip tray.
* Place on lid.
* Plug in and switch on.
* Turn timer to required time.
* Check that there is sufficient water in the steamer during cooking - if the level gets too low add more via the hole by the handles.

---My Opinion---

I have had a few of these Tefal 1000 Turbo Steamers over the years.
I did once find them unobtainable and bought one from Argos - a big mistake - it ruined our Christmas dinner by failing to cook the potatoes - so it ended up in the bin - as son said - it was not even worth giving to a charity shop.
So left with no steamer - well I had the base but the baskets were broken - I found I could pick up spares from Ebay - and this is what I have been doing for the last few years.
The bases always function perfectly - and the whole unit cooks food really well - but as others have mentioned the removable bases have a really bad problem - the clips on the bases snap off and you end up with baskets but no bases - so they are effectively useless. We have even had one snap in half through wear.
I only use my steamer for vegetables and it will cook potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and swede in about 30-35 minutes.
i always spread the vegetables throughout a few baskets and that way they cook better.
The removable bases are supposed to ensure you can cook a chicken - which I have never wanted to do anyway.
I have also never cooked eggs or rice in it so cannot comment.
I do know though that the Tefal steamers do cook food reliably - so I stick to the brand and make I know and put up with the troublesome basket bases.
I have a bit of a stockpile of parts now so they should last me a few years.
I do not fancy buying another steamer that fails us (like the Argos one) and do not have a lot of money to buy a top of the range model - so for now I will stick with my Tefal Steam Quisine 1000.
I'm just sorry that I now have to track them down on Ebay.

---Star Rating---

4 Stars.

---Would I Recommend?---

Yes definitely - for the steamer capabilities - I have removed one star for the very poor design of the basket bases.

---Availability---

This model now only seems available on the second hand market (Ebay etc) but Tefal still do a good range of more modern steamers which are probably equally as good and reliable - but more pricey.

---Website---

www.tefal.co.uk

Summary: Good simple steamer that works really well.

(Also posted on Dooyoo under the name Rolandrat)

Add the first comment!