Telephone Preference Service

Telephone Preference Service

Review of "Telephone Preference Service"

published 14/03/2001 | KathrynE
Member since : 08/09/2000
Pro Free, stops unwanted calls
Cons None

"Stop Those Unsolicited Calls"

I don’t get any calls from double glazing companies interrupting my life. Nor from anyone else trying to sell me goods which I haven’t asked for. My number is still listed in the phone book but these annoying calls just don’t happen anymore. Why? Because I’m registered with the Telephone Preference Service, and its illegal for anyone to make a direct marketing call to me if I haven’t asked for it. This wonderful service is available FREE on any UK land line.

~~~~ My Experience ~~~~
I registered with the TPS at the beginning of November. A week after I signed up I received a letter confirming my registration and telling me it would be 28 days before it was effective. Its now been nearly a year since I registered and I havn't received a single direct marketing call. Companies who I have given my number to (like my bank) are still able to contact me with details of services they provide.

~~~~ The Service ~~~~
The Telephone Preference Service is run by the Direct Marketing Association and this is their brief: ~

“In February 1999 OFTEL issued an Invitation To Tender for the Management of the Telephone and Fax Opt-Out Schemes. The DMA has been awarded the contract to run the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and Fax Preference Service (FPS).

The TPS enables Individuals to register their objection to receiving direct marketing calls with a central service.”

The service does not stop calls from market research organisations, just those from direct marketing operatives.

~~~~ Signing Up ~~~~
You can sign up for the service online. Just visit www.dma.org.uk and select the TPS logo at the top of the page. Here you will find information about the service and also links to the fax preference service and the mailing preference service which you can also sign up for. On the TPS page there is a link to Register and all you have to complete is your name, address and telephone number. Once you’ve clicked the Add To Register button you just wait for your confirmation letter to be sent.

~~~~ What If I still Get Called? ~~~~
Your confirmation letter explains that once your registration is effective it is illegal for any company to make a direct marketing call to you unless you have previously told them that they can call you. The TPS offer a complaint handling service if you do get a direct marketing call, you just write to them giving details of date, time and the organisation who called you. The matter of the illegal call will be dealt with. I can't tell you how because I havn't had a call to report!

~~~~ The Bottom Line~~~
Well I’ve told you all about the service and how to sign up, all that is left for you to do is to visit the web site and give them your details. There's no catch just no cold calls!

• oranges76 published 06/10/2001
    A very useful op. Apparently Market Research calls which are equally as annoying are exempt from TPS.
  • anjib published 30/09/2001
    How do you get in contact with TPS?
  • offy published 28/09/2001
    I'm registered too and, like you, have never ever received a phone call. Having worked in Marketing I know what a pain it is to screen outbound calling lists agaist the TPS for the companies, but they do take it seriously.

Product Information : Telephone Preference Service