Telephone Preference Service

Telephone Preference Service

Review of "Telephone Preference Service"

published 21/09/2004 | Hippychick54
Member since : 04/02/2004
Peace and Love...Kate
Pro no more finance companies!
Cons absolutely none....

"Peace at Last!"

At work I am in charge of a huge database 47000 plus customers and because of the data protection act I have get all my data scanned for people who choose to opt out of unsolicited calls.

At home, however, I have always had an ex-directory line which up until two years ago meant that I never had a problem - but then I moved house, thinking that the previous owners would tell the world that they had moved and that I would have no problem keeping the number.

Now I never was a naive person but I have never come across people the like of who I bought my house from.

Finance companies constantly rang asking for the previous owner. B&Q rang to arrange delivery on things I had not ordered - some companies sent the stuff anyway and couriers just left it on the doorstep! What a nightmare!

The last straw came when after several threatening 'phone calls (they must have had their post redirected - God knows where , even their solicitor had a fictitious address) the bailliffs turned up! Demanding the contents of my house to settle the previous occupants debts!

It took me a long while to prove my own identity and that I owned my house outright with no outstanding finance anywhere. The big blokes at my front door needed some convincing and it was quite scary considering I live just with my daughter and she was out at the time.

I decided that was enough but so many people already had my number and they needed it - it made more sense to opt for TPS instead of a complete number change. There is also a laminated notice in the front window giving the name of the current owner - just in case!

I registered online for my opt out of telephone calls - it was easy, just key TPS into a search engine and God Bless Google you are there!

Now, life is easier only very very close friends have my home number and the bank of course but they don't call often!

As I am also a customer of my own company I have updated my data at work - so now I can breathe again and if ever anyone rings that shouldn't at least I now have some redress should I care to take it up.

Thanks for reading,

Peace and love
Kate

• Bollinger28 published 06/08/2005
    Sounds like a complete nightmare for you baliffs wise. We use TPS as well - ideal for stopping those irritating double glazing sales calls when you're trying to watch TV. Lexy x
  • Hollyhock published 07/10/2004
    Woops we didn't opoted out , must be the bacardi I am taking for this cold. No we OPTED out. Sorry x
  • Hollyhock published 07/10/2004
    We opoted out and it was a great idea. We were tired of the phone ringing and nobody was there when you picked it up. We did it by ringing a BT number out of the directory. It would have been easier to do it your way! Thanks for the info. Maggie x

Product Information : Telephone Preference Service