Telephone Preference Service

Telephone Preference Service

Review of "Telephone Preference Service"

published 18/06/2013 | dynamicnurse
Stability
Manufacturer Support
Instruction manual

"TPS? LOL!"

Having been on both the receiving end and the calling end of spam and junk callers or whatever else you want to call them, I would just like to write my own personal experiences of the Telephone Preference System (or the TPS as it is now called for the purposes of the rest of my review).

The TPS is a system that allows you to supposedly take your number off the general telephone database, that will then result in you not getting any bogus calls from call centres; businesses and the like, as they cannot get hold of your number. This is not however to be confused with the ex-directory service, which means that nobody (regardless of whether it is a personal number or a business number) will be able to find your number at all through any meand - paper phone books, or on the phone or online through directory enquiries.

But by registering your number on the TPS, this means that you have specifically asked for no 'cold callers' to get in touch with you in order to try and sell you something over the phone. It is a free service, and can be done online at the TPS website (www.tpsonline.org.uk) and I do believe that you can also call them - but this number escapes me at the moment!

I have to say that the website does also state that it takes up to 28 days for this action to occur, however I am still not convinced that it works all the time - for reasons that I shall now go in to.

You see, I have registered with the TPS in the past and all seemed to go well for a few months when I would maybe get the odd call (which was OK) but this was nothing compared to the one a day at least that I was getting. And I have also worked in a call centre, where people would randomly have a go at me for saying that they were going to report me for calling them as their number was on the TPS. With them saying this was the fifth time I had called them that day, when I had only just started at eight in the morning!

I felt bad, as the numbers we were dialling were being automatically dialled out from a central point - the majority of businesses in this country do seem to use it though, and so many people will get lots of calls from other places too many of which may be selling the same things. But many of these call centres never leave a number or a message, and so you cannot tell where they are coming from.

And so therefore my only advice to you all would be to not answer the telephone, and do 1471 or the equivalent afterwards to see who called you. If it is a number you don't recongise, then call them back - or do 1571, as they may have left you a message. All in all, I think that the TPS is just a complete waste of time as it never seems to work that well and it is one of those things that just sounds good on paper.

Thanks for reading!

• RICHADA published 22/06/2013
    When first set up - yes I registered straight away - the TPS was very effective. Sadly, with many of the "spam" calls also coming from abroad, it has now become entirely toothless. R.
  • TheNuttyTart published 18/06/2013
    Well reviewed :o)
  • thedevilinme published 18/06/2013
    interesting to note that the call centre featured on that irritating BBC3 show was fined heavily for blank calls.

Product Information : Telephone Preference Service