Advantages Especially good for those with large gaps between their posterior teeth
Disadvantages Not very useful if the gaps between you teeth are very narrow.
As a student studying to be a dentist, I can not sufficiently stress how important it is to clean interdentally! I think my family and fiancé can vouch for that because more often than not, you'll find me telling them off for poor hygiene habits. Tut tut!-- Why do I need to clean interdentally? --
The problem with ordinary brushing is that there is no way the bristles of the toothbrush can get access interdentally, (i.e. in between your teeth), even if you try to force them to! During the day, the level of plaque in our mouth will increase and so will the number of bacteria. This bacteria can then not only cause tooth decay but it can also lead to Gingivitis (inflammation on the gums), which, if not treated can lead to Periodontitis (inflammation of the bone that surrounds teeth), which will cause tooth loss! Oh No! Ordinary tooth brushing will remove the majority of plaque in the mouth, however, there will still be a significant amount remaining interdentally.
-- DO NOT FEAR! --Fortunately, Gingivitis is a reversible disease. That means, you can go back to having healthy gums that do not bleed. However, if left untreated, Gingivitis will progress in to Periodontitis which unfortunately is irreversible.
-- What can I do to save my gums? --CLEAN INTERDENTALLY! This can be done in two ways:
-- Tepe Interdental Brushes --TePe designs, manufactures and sells oral health products and was founded in 1965, in Sweden. Tepe Interdental brushes are ideal for those who have larger gaps in between their teeth or those who find flossing absolutely a nightmare. The beauty about these is that they are hand held and come in many sizes ranging from 0.4mm to 1.3mm which all have a specific colour: Pink 0.4mm, Gold 0.45 mm, Red 0.5 mm, Blue 0.6 mm, Yellow 0.7 mm, Green 0.8 mm, Purple 1.1 mm and finally Grey 1.3 mm.
-- How do I use them? --I would first advise that you seek dental advice to help find the correct size. Some people have different sized spacing in different areas of their mouth and in those cases, more than one set of brushes will be needed.
- For the front teeth, insert the brushes in the space between the teeth at the level of the gums
- Once inserted, gently move the brush back and forth to remove the plaque and debris interdentally.
- For the back of the mouth, access may be improved by first curving the brush slightly and them gently pushing it in the space between the teeth at the level of the gums. Becarefule when bending the brushes because excess force and continous bending can cause the bushes to break (especially the smaller sizes) and thus may cause injury.
- The brush can also be dipped in some mouthwash before it is inserted interdentally to aid cleaning.
- When finished, the brush can be washed with water and then covered using the cap provided. * There is no cap in the pack of the grey brush 1.
Attention, this is the first review from this author
Instead of giving a negative rating, consider:
Help this member by giving your advice
Report fraud (for example plagiarism) or other issue with the review to the Ciao support team
Add your comment