Tesco Bathroom Cleaner Spray

Tesco Bathroom Cleaner Spray

Bathroom Cleaner

Review of "Tesco Bathroom Cleaner Spray"

published 01/03/2014 | KateHurst
Member since : 21/05/2008
Have decided to wander back to the site for a bit - 2016 was a bit hectic!
Pro cheap, effective, quick and easy to use, no rinsing, antibacterial
Cons doesn't suit all surfaces, not as eco-friendly as some alternatives
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"A few squirts away from a sparkly bathroom"

I bought Tesco Bathroom Cleaner a few months back when sent out with a shopping list compiled by my sister; it cost £1.25 for a 500ml trigger spray bottle (still does), so was cheaper than Flash at the time. Since then, I’ve been impressed with it; our second bottle’s almost empty and I intend to replace it!

It looks similar any other squirty bathroom cleaner; you can turn the nozzle to “on” or “off”, the trigger spray works well and the lid doesn’t come loose, so it hasn’t leaked. My only slight annoyance is that the white plastic bottle’s opaque so it’s not as easy to tell when its running out (unless I shake it), but it is recyclable, although the screw-on trigger spray isn’t.

The cleaner sounds thin and watery, but when squirted it comes out white and slightly foamy; I’ve never had any trouble getting the trigger spray to work. The label tells me that Tesco Bathroom Cleaner can kill several bacteria (including campylobacteria, listeria, salmonella and E-coli), which I’ll have to trust it on as they’re invisible, but it is quite useful, as two of our family have compromised immune systems for various reasons. However, it doesn't specifically claim to be a disinfectant.

It has a definite “cleaner” smell, but it’s not too chemical, is relatively fresh and does leave the bathroom smelling clean after use. Being a squirt-on, wipe-off option, it’s quick and easy to use, needing minimal effort to get surfaces clean (which is always appealing!). I’ve tried it out on most bits of our bathrooms and I’m impressed by just how well it works; it leaves the taps shiny, is effective at removing surface grime from tiles without leaving the chalky marks that Cif sometimes leaves, and cleans our plastic toilet seats quickly and easily. (Personally, I wouldn’t risk it on a wooden toilet seat, but it cleans plastic and ceramics well; I’ll sometimes squirt it round the toilet bowl before brushing it, and the resulting fine froth just flushes away leaving everything clean and smelling fresh.)

Occasionally, I’ll let it work on particularly dirty surfaces while I get on with other cleaning and it will soak into any stains without damaging the sink, bath or other surfaces. It can cope with typical bathroom sink marks caused by toothpaste, soap, bits of facial scrub, leftover foundation and even spray tan (my sister favours the aerosol ones, which tend to leave a fine mist everywhere); all I have to do is wipe it off with a damp cloth. It’s possible to hear it fizzing gently when left to soak in for a bit, which suggests to me that it’s cleaning well. Crucially, it doesn't need to be rinsed off afterwards - after all, no one wants to spend more time cleaning than they have to.

I wouldn’t use this on big surfaces eg. the floor as I think multi-surface cleaners are better suited to that; this is more for removing general bathroom grime, marks on the sink etc, but one bottle often lasts us a couple of months (bearing in mind that we’ve got two bathrooms and one toilet). It is also apparently unsuitable for wood, aluminium or marble, but I wouldn’t use it on those anyway; I’d look for an alternative product.

I would also avoid using it as a kitchen cleaner; I’m not convinced it would be quite “safe” enough on food preparation surfaces, but it’s ideal for the bathroom. Towards the end of a bottle, it gets harder to squirt it out, as shaking the bottle makes the liquid froth up inside (and I shake it out of habit). I certainly agree with the claim that it’s effective on watermarks and soap scum; it leaves our sink clean and sparkling.

It’s suggested that this is used in a well-ventilated area, but I don’t find the scent overpowering (although I imagine some might) and it doesn’t dry out or irritate my hands (I rarely wear rubber gloves when cleaning).

Overall, I’d recommend the Tesco Bathroom Cleaner. From an environmental perspective, I prefer Ecover multi-purpose cleaner (which works really well on basically everything, and does have a nicer scent than this), but if you want the extra reassurance of an antibacterial cleaner, this is a bargain.

• mumsymary published 02/03/2014