Tesco Cafe

Tesco Cafe

Review of "Tesco Cafe"

published 12/02/2007 | elfbwillow
Member since : 07/02/2007
Good
Pro Cheap and Convenient
Cons Poor Quality
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Cafe of Convenience"

Tesco is probably one of the most popular supermarkets in Britain with its great selection of food and low cost purchases. It boasts its friendly atmosphere and helpful staff and after or before a busy shopping trip, it offers a place to sit and have a coffee and a slice of cake, or a full blown meal.

Sounds great doesn't it?

Obviously with many of these supermarkets all over the country, each one will be slightly different, yet hopefully I can give you an overview from the experiences I have had through many different Tesco Cafe's

*****Cafe Overview*****

The supermarket cafe can often be found quite near the entrance to the main store creating an inviting, if not slightly presurising, feel.

There are many signs which boast great food and drink which brings your tastebuds to life (if only this were true!)

*****Staff*****

On walking into the cafe area, I first notice the lack of staff behind the counter. On many visits, there has been one person slowly clearing away tables which have been used by the many people who come into the busy supermarket. Many time, I have had to stand and wait for ages before being served hot meals, and that is without a queue of people. Once someone finally notices me, there is hardly ever a smile, and more of a grunt in reply to my request. Obviously, there are some cheerful and helpful staff, I certainly don't want to steriotype staff in the cafe, yet a lot of them seem miserable and eager to leave, which is certainly not the atmosphere that you would want to recieve as it makes you wonder if they are that miserable behind the counter, what on earth are they doing with the food!!

Now, I certainly do not want to cause any offense to any Tesco Cafe workers, as I said above, all supermarkets across the country differ, yet I wouldn't be doing my job properly if I did not touch upon my experiences.

*****Food*****

Now, going to a supermarket cafe, no one expects food served as though they were at a top London resturant, yet when you are paying fo hot food, you at least expect it to be hot, don't you?

I have been to Tescos cafe many a time, and tried many different so called hot meals, and have I ever been served one? No! Simple answer, and I guess it makes you wonder why on earth I keep going back. Well, I will answer that below, but first I will continue with this part of the review.

The selection itself is laid out not too badly. You are able to see the range on offer at the time and everything has its place. You grab a tray and simply fill it!

The cold food in packets and cartons are presented well and has a decent range, though nothing special by any means. The hot food, though, is another matter entirely. Although they change the dishes frequently, there really is not that much on offer to the consumer, and it is left out on the side for so long that it is some wonder that customers don't become ill with food poisoning. Curried chicken is often spilling over onto the pies and when you finally get served, the food that is supposed to be hot is anything but. I have tasted everything from cold, hard chips to soggy, practically frozen pies. Everything except for what it is advitised as - Hot and delicious!

At the end of the counter, many sachets of sauces are avaliable for free, yet if you want a Heinz product such as Tomato ketchup, then you are looking at an extra 15p.

Again, I feel I have to mention that as a supermarket cafe, you do not expect anything special, but they could at least make sure the food is hot enough for consumption!

*****Drinks*****

There is a decent range of soft drinks on offer, both hot and cold (as long as the hot machines are working). The hot drink sizes are quite generous and for once, actually quite hot to taste. There is everything from tea and coffee to hot chocolate and latte with a small area at the end of the counter to stock up on sugar and pasterised milk. Cold drinks include everything from fruit shoots to cold milk (although I would not trust the milk to be cold or fresh as it sits out on the side for hours!)

*****Cleanliness*****

Obviously all places which serve food are required to meet certain cleanliness obligations, and Tesco's cafe does meet these requirements, although saying this, it is not perfect by any means.

Due to lack of staff in many different Tesco cafes, tables are left for quite a while before cleaning and the trays seem to be rarely wiped before putting back into the pile for new customers. Floors are cleaned quite regularly, though often signs have been forgotten and I have seen an old lady slip on the wet floor before, though I guess we cant have everything.

Cutlery and plates are generally clean (as far as I have seen) which is one gracious thing I guess!

*****Costs*****

Now this is perhaps one main reason why people keep coming to Tescos cafe, that and the convenience of it. I have been able to purchase a meal for myself and my husband, with hot drink for less that £8. Obviously this depends on what you buy, yet overall the costs are very low on meals and drinks.

Cakes are slightly overpriced, which is silly considering you can pop into the main store and buy a cake twice the size for half the price.

*****Overall*****

Overall, this cafe is not the worst I have seen and is extremely convenient, yet if you want somewhere which serves hot food and has a better range, it is perhaps better to drive into the main town and visiting a cafe there, or better still, just going home for lunch!

Our local store is upgrading their departments at the moment so hopefully we will see a better service in the cafe soon, or maybe this is just another hope which will be dashed by cheap cafes!

• danielclark691 published 17/04/2017
    good
  • darkangelwing published 14/02/2007
    I hear they do good breakfasts, not been in yonks though.
  • elaine16 published 13/02/2007
    good detailed review, sounds a no go place for me. Elaine xx

Product Information : Tesco Cafe

Listed on Ciao since: 01/10/2001

Tesco Cafe - Review - Cafe of Convenience

elfbwillo... 3

elfbwillow

About me: Thanks to everyone for the ratings especially the E's - much appreciated I am back! I have missed you all!

Member since:07.02.2007

Cafe of Convenience

12.02.2007

Advantages:
Cheap and Convenient

Disadvantages:
Poor Quality

Recommendable No:

*****Food*****

*****Drinks*****

*****Cleanliness*****

*****Costs*****

Now this is perhaps one main reason why people keep coming to Tescos cafe, that and the convenience of it. I have been able to purchase a meal for myself and my husband, with hot drink for less that 8. Obviously this depends on what you buy, yet overall the costs are very low on meals and drinks.

*****Overall*****

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

danielclark691 17.04.2017 20:06

good

darkangelwing 14.02.2007 04:03

I hear they do good breakfasts, not been in yonks though.

elaine16 13.02.2007 20:27