Review of "Tesco Cold Relief Capsules"

published 25/02/2010 | katherineh123
Member since : 12/03/2007
Pro relieves symptoms, easy and convenient, quite cheap
Cons cheap packaging

"Value remedy for the winter sniffles"

I usually suffer with three or four colds throughout the year, and like to have remedies in the house as you never know when one will strike - and when it does, the effects tend to take hold pretty rapidly.

I have tried the hot flavoured cold relief drinks - but struggle to drink these, particularly if it's a summer cold & find the blackcurrant or honey and lemon flavours not to my taste. I was also looking for a simpler remedy that I could take on the go, which is why these cold relief capsules from Tesco appealed to me.

The capsules can be purchased in a box of 16 for 69p, which is pretty good value. The box promises relief of the symptoms of cold and flu - nasal and sinus congestion, headaches, aches and pains. The capsules are half yellow and half green in colour, and a fair size. The size and shape is not hard to take however, and the capsules are easily swallowed with water.

The capsules contain paracetamol, caffeine and phenylephrine, so you have to be careful not to take with any other cold remedies that may contain paravetamol, to ensure you stay within the recommended daily dose. You can take up to four a day, however I have found three to be sufficient in a day.

I found these capsules to be pretty effective. They are quick and easy to take and very covenient to pop in your bag and take at work etc. I could feel the effects within 30 minutes of taking, with my stuffy head clearing and my nasal congestion clearing slightly (although not completely, unfortunately!) They also made me feel better in myself, perhaps from the caffeine lift. The only thing that I have fpund frustrating with these capsule is the packaging. The tray that they come in has a paper like foil backing, so when you try to pop the pill out, it does not always split easily & you often end up with a squashed capsule. That aside, these are a pretty good buy.

• timmmmd published 25/02/2010
    I usually use contac capsules, have you tried these? Any idea how they compare?