Tesco Devonshire Fudge Yoghurt

Tesco Devonshire Fudge Yoghurt

Flavoured

Review of "Tesco Devonshire Fudge Yoghurt"

published 08/10/2008 | Amy69
Member since : 28/05/2007
Good
Pro tasty
Cons unhealthy, pricey
Smell
Product Quality

"Devine-shire yoghurt?"

The yoghurt pot

The yoghurt pot

It was that time again when I set out to discover a new yoghurt. I didn't know quite what I fancied, but I didn't feel like something fruity. When I popped down to the local Tesco to browse their selection, one particular pot caught my eye.

The pot of the Devonshire Style Fudge yoghurt in the Tesco Finest range is not particularly colourful- its main colour is black with a little silver banner behind the text. It was however the pictures of the chunks of fudge that attracted me. They looked incredibly creamy and very soft. I simply had to buy it!

When I peeled back the lid of the deep pot, before I could even see if the yoghurt itself looked appealing, the aroma that drifted out was so sweet and divine that its appearance would not matter! Fortunately though, it still did look amazing, with a creamy fudge brown colour, not watery at all either! From simply looking at it, it looked quite a smooth yoghurt. All was good so far, but how would it taste? When I popped a spoon into my mouth, I noticed it was pleasantly thick and creamy, cooling too. The taste was phenomenal! There was a certain sugary presence there, and definitely tasted of the creamy fudge I had hoped for! Through it, I discovered there were little pieces of chewy fudge - this gave it a much more interesting texture too. In all, it was a very tasty and filling yoghurt!

Yes, this was a delicious yoghurt to eat, but just how healthy was it? I am quite fussy when it comes to health and nutrition, and I am ashamed to say that this one is most discomforting! The nutritional information is printed both on the back in little print, and again on the front in the form of Guideline Daily Amount percentage - this makes it easier to read. I was disappointed to see that each 150g pot contains 260 calories, and 27.9g sugars. If this was not bad enough, you will also find it has 126 fat. That is terrible - most unrewarding! Though on a positive it is a good source of calcium, so it can help to keep our hair and bones strong! It is also suitable for vegetarians. (Well, who ever thought there would be meat in my yoghurt?!).

:WARNING: contains milk, and may contain traces of nuts.

This is delicious, yes, but healthy? I think we can be honest here and say no, not at all! But just how useful is it? Well, I often boost the taste of my weetabix with yoghurt, but I feel although the taste of this one is nice, there is a little too much of it to add to the weetabix. Though if you are splitting it with somebody else, it may be ideal! I add yoghurt to fruit too, but I do not think this one would go down too well on the blueberries! The pot is quite an awkward shape and perhaps a little too large to pop into a school lunch box, but it is quite a tasty snack to serve for lethargic kids after school, or to serve as a dessert or snack after a meal. As the pot is made of cardboard compared to the shiny plastic yoghurt pots, you cannot really reuse it as, when you wash it out, the cardboard will become soggy and rip. So although it has some uses, this is perhaps not the most versatile yoghurt out there!

As this yoghurt is quite rich in flavour, I had expected it to be quite pricey, but since it was Tesco's own brand, I did not expect it too be overly priced. When I found out it was 64p, I was quite shocked - I thought maybe 50p perhaps. And some supermarkets, such as Asda, often do deals on their own brand, but not Tesco! If you do decide to buy one of these though at that price, and forget about it, you have around two weeks to find it hidden in the back of your fridge before it expires! I'd say that in itself is quite reasonable for a dairy product.

Comparing this yoghurt to other fudge flavours is quite a challenge - its quite a rare flavour! But I guess I could compare it to the toffee yoghurts I have sampled, as it is quite a similar flavour. The Muller Light toffee yoghurt is much thinner and has a much more basic texture, but is so much healthier and is cheaper too, not to forget that is is more widely available. The Asda Extra Special Devon Toffee yoghurt is just as unhealthy and just as delicious, but has a more simple texture. The Coop low fat toffee yoghurt is more healthy but nowhere near as tasty. The Weight Watchers one, again is not as fattening or calorific, but has very little quantity compared. I feel that this yoghurt ranks quite low at the bottom of the chart!

This is quite a tasteful yoghurt, but best eaten just now and then!