Tesco Diet Fiery Ginger Beer

Tesco Diet Fiery Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer

Review of "Tesco Diet Fiery Ginger Beer"

published 01/10/2008 | reddragonflame87
Member since : 18/12/2004
I now live in Florida, so I probably won't be posting here again. Sorry!
Pro Fiery, strong, cheap, and big.
Cons A little overpowering compared to some ginger beers. Not really something you can swig.

"A ginger you can love"

Mmmf. Mmmkle. Mmmmmrf.

ATCHOO!

*Sniffle*

Mmmmmmmm noooo can't move, throat hurts, nose hurts, gaaaahrhghhhhgh.

Sound familiar? Probably does. Every man and his dog seems to be coming down with the flu at the moment and it sucks. So who fancies a bit of an alternative cure?

I sure did. So I trotted off to Tesco looking for a big ol' fizzy drink that'd clear my throat. I spotted a Fiery Ginger Beer, but after pushing Graham Norton out of the way (oh yes, I went there) I returned with a big bottle containing a ginger flavoured carbonated beverage. Tesco Diet Fiery Ginger Beer - Made With Ginger Root Extract. Sure, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it was eye catching enough.

Fifty pence is a decent price for any drink so I wasn't loathe to part with it to try something a little different to what I usually drink. The bottle is presented nicely enough with it's dark semi-opaque colouring, although I dislike it when I can't see the drink inside. After all, it could have bits of sandwich in it, and if the local papers are anything to go by that would be catastrophic coming from a Tesco. The label looks a bit meh but that's mostly because ginger roots look a bit like poo.

Anyway. Opening the bottle immediately releases a strong smell of ginger, and as sombeody who has tried the "pricier" types of ginger beer I was surprised to discover it smells identical to some of the fancier brands. Considering how cheap it is for two litres you would expect a far more "chemical" smell, but this is really nice. Being careful not to snot into the bottle, I took a while just enjoying the ginger smell. But that's not the important part of a drink, right?

The taste is equally as good. The ginger taste is incredibly powerful and definitely fiery. It's a good thing too - I found it shifted the phlegm and crap from the back of my throat and cleared my nose too, much like any spicy food, but I digress. The after taste is also very strong and it stays on your breath for quite some time. I found the drink wasn't as fizzy as most carbonated drinks, but that's a good thing in my opinion. The bottle also lasts a very long time - mine last about 5 days before I'd finally drunk my way through it. This is mostly because of the powerful taste - it's a little hard to drink more than a little sip at a time because of how "hot" it is.

A review on a drink is always going to be short since I'm sure you aren't wanting me to babble on about the fact it contains no nuts and is made of recyclable materials (the bottle, that is, not the ginger beer), so I'll end it with this. If you feel bunged up and fancy something to help clear your throat a bit, splash out and spend 50p on a bottle of this stuff.

Oh, and if you buy two bottles, you get a Clubcard point. Two if you reuse a carrier bag. Good, eh?

To clarify, I had "the flu", not "man flu". I am not one to exaggerate how poorly I am and never have been - I went to work, even doing two 11 hour shifts, and went to college too. The only people I can think of who'd bring up man flu are women, and that'd just be plain ironic considering how much they complain about something as trivial and painless as childbirth ;-)

• clocktower published 04/02/2010
    I see we are of like minds. Nice review! – Jan
  • kevin121 published 17/04/2009
    Nicely reviewed, Rachael.
  • Pink-Ice-Queen published 10/02/2009
    The label looks a bit meh...best adjective ever ;-)