Review of "Tesco Everyday Value Soap"

published 14/03/2013 | lynnmc1
Member since : 11/09/2012
New to Ciao + Dooyoo, username lynnmc on dooyoo is me too!
Good
Pro Cleans well, very cheap
Cons Doesn't lather as well as I'd like and the scent doesn't last
Does it smell good?

"It's Just Soap"

As you may have noticed, Tesco have recently been changing the look of their value range. The value products are now known as 'everyday value' and the packaging has changed from white with the blue stripe, to packaging with pictures which vary depending on the range. This value soap has a clear plastic wrapper with green images of bathroom items such as a rubber duck, bathtub and tap as pictured.
The soap itself is bright white in colour and is rectangular. Each bar costs only 11p for a 125g bar, which is why I decided to give it a try as it's hardly going to break the bank if it's not for me.

The ingredients listed on the packaging are Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Parfum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Hexyl Cinnamal, CI 77891.

The ingredients don't sound too natural, but I didn't feel they irritated my skin and I found the soap quite gentle to use.

The first thing I noticed when using this soap was the shape of it was quite annoying to hold. The rectangular shape as a bit uncomfortable and something I didn't think would be a problem but I find the oval and rounded bars of soap much easier to hold.
The next thing I noticed was that it doesn't lather very much, it just goes a little bit milky which means it isn't the easiest to rub into the skin.
The final thing I noticed about this soap was the smell, or lack of it. There is only a very faint soapy smell which is gone as soon as it is rinsed off. This could actually be an advantage for me in some circumstances. I don't like the smell of soap on my body but I do not like the strong smell of soap lingering on my hands. So this would be good for me to use when washing my hands, especially on days when I am gardening as I would be washing them quite a lot.

My favourite soap to use in the bath and shower is Dove. It is around 6 times the price of this soap and I didn't have high expectations of this soap and therefore I was not disappointed. If you want something that smells wonderful and feels luxurious, this isn't the one for you, although there are lots of good value bars which are available for not much more than this.
If you want something that is cheap and cleans, this is what this does, no more and no less. For 11p, this soap would last a while and is good for someone who is on a very tight budget. For my bath and shower I wouldn't buy this again as I would like something that lathers up a bit more, but I wouldn't rule out buying it again to wash my hands.